Subject: Re: BMC update, 17:15
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:43:00 -0800 (PST)

Chaz and Steve,

Here's the latest, in a nutshell.  Basically, the testing is not fully 
completed, even where we might have felt that it was close (because there is 
also a financial component which needs to be exercised - the TCO part of the 
purchase decision).  As you know, both Randy Matson and Bob McAuliffe are out 
on vacation, so getting a decision from them is not likely before Christmas.  
However, it looks like there has been enough feedback to/through them to 
surmise that BMC is not in the driver's seat in either situation.

In a meeting today, it became apparent that BMC's revenue opportunity with 
the Net Works organization is much lower than BMC has projected to you at 
EBS.  The primary opportunity for BMC in Net Works is for their Schema 
Manager tool, and the rest of the opportunities look increasingly dim, 
especially given the time constraints imposed in your situation.  

Still, the Net Works team has not completely ruled BMC out as a potential 
vendor; but neither is there a commitment (written OR verbal) to make a BMC 
purchase at this point.  I will be on vacation next week, but will be 
checking in on Monday the 18th and Tuesday the 19th.  Jennifer or I will keep 
you posted if we are able to report opportunity changes in your favor.

I have sent you a paraphrased version of Doug's most recent communication to 
me.  The overall message would apply fairly universally to the other Net 
Works teams in question:  more testing, but looks like BMC's total sales 
opportunity to Enron is not going to get to the amount necessary to get your 
deal done.  The issues mentioned in the other summary update note from 
yesterday still apply.

Thank you,

Jeff

----- Forwarded by Jeff Youngflesh/NA/Enron on 12/15/2000 05:15 PM -----

	Douglas Cummins@ECT
	12/15/2000 04:14 PM
		
		 To: Jeff Youngflesh/NA/Enron@ENRON
		 cc: 
		 Subject: Re: BMC Summary to-date

Jeff,

We backed away from Patrol for monitoring - we feel that a competitor's 
solution is a better one for us.

My group still considers BMC's Schema Manager tool to be an excellent 
product, and would consider it to be a viable option for purchase.  I believe 
Net Works will still evaluate more similar tools, and related design tools, 
before making a decision.

Regards,
Douglas