Subject: Your Amazon.com order (#002-4083380-7905653)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:59:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the following
item from your order:
	
  Masami Saionji "The Golden Key to Happiness : Words of 
	Guidance and Wisdom"

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've
since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this
time.  We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize
for any inconvenience we have caused you.
    
We must also apologize for the length of time it has taken us to reach 
this conclusion.  Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this 
item for you.

You may wish to try searching for this item on Amazon.com Auctions 
(http://auctions.amazon.com) and zShops (http://www.amazon.com/zshops).  
Our sellers list thousands of items for sale every day, and it's possible 
that someone may be selling the item you're seeking.
    
We have cancelled this item from your order.
	
Your credit card will NOT BE CHARGED for this item because you only
pay for items when we ship them to you.
	
Please know that we expend significant effort to keep abreast of
prices and availabilities.  Once again, we are very sorry for any
inconvenience this may have caused you.
    
Your order is now closed.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com, and we hope to see you again!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection