Subject: Football SNAFU
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 06:10:00 -0800 (PST)

As you all know, the flag football game was called off.     The current 
proposed structure is to give 8 tickets to Enron and 8 to AC.  The team which 
raises the most (by 5 pm, Monday 11-19) for each company will be awarded the 
tickets.  And the game will be rescheduled for sometime in the beginning of 
December.

I'm very disappointed with the way this whole situation has been mishandled.  
I can't speak as to what occurred on the Anderson side, but these are my 
thoughts on this situation.

1.  All the Enron captains (including the Aggies) agreed to play Saturday 
regardless of the weather.  I confirmed that we would be on as rain and cold 
weather were very likely to occur.  Had the other captains decided to not 
play in the cold rain, we could have rescheduled the game for  Sunday or an 
alternative day.

2.  My understanding is that the Aggies called the game  (Billy Lemmons and 
Ted Bland) and then changed the awarding of the tickets in way that directly 
benefitted the Aggie teams.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither Billy nor 
Ted were out at the field to judge the weather conditions prior to calling 
off the game.  Nor were the captains contacted for their input.   The rules 
have been abitrarily changed in mid-stream to the advantage of the Aggies and 
this is grossly unfair.   The top 2 fund raisers for the Enron Aggie teams 
were to be awarded footballs that were autograped by the Aggie football 
team.   Given this additional  incentive, it's not surprising that they 
raised more money than the UT teams  (by my unofficial estimates).  By one 
estimate who was familiar with the aggie fund rainsing efforts, one team 
raised about $2,000 and the other raised about $5,000. 

So what do we do about this situation?   It's up to you to decide if you want 
to play  in the rescheduled tournament.  Personally, I don't see much point 
nor motivation to play.  It surely won't be for bragging rights, as the real 
UT/a&m game will have already occurred.  In addition, I think it would be 
appropriate to give the people who donated funds the option to get their 
money back.   The situation that now exists is not what I raised money for.  

I want to thank you all for the work and effort you put forth for this event, 
it's unfortunate that it wasn't handled better.

I will be out all of next week.  Leave me a voicemail if you need to speak 
to  me.   I will have your shirts on the Monday following Thanksgiving.