Subject: Faxing Volumes
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 03:23:00 -0800 (PST)

On Monday of this week the number of Financial deals transacted on EOL 
increased by approximately 1000 deals per day.    In addition,
the machine that the faxing process and Sitara runs on was down Tuesday for 
four hours do to a machine failure.

As a result of the increased EOL volumes and the machine downtime, the faxing 
backlog has grown significantly.  Invoices have
the highest priority so they should go out as quickly as before, the confirms 
will take some time.

We have been working on upgrading the hardware the faxing process runs on for 
some time and  have now focused all resources on this task
as a result of the increased EOL volumes.  We have called in additional 
support from the Facsys ( the software that faxes the documents ) reseller.  

It is likely that all confirmations queued to fax today will not reach their 
destination until sometime this weekend.  

Please cqll me at 3-7569 if you have any questions.

Thanks, Ron