Subject: NES to "store" electricity in Ohio
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], fletcher.stu
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 05:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

NES filed at FERC for authorization to "store" electricity for third parties 
at a facility in Ohio -- maybe provides a commercial opportunity.  Let us 
know if you want to see the entire filing.

______________________

Summary:

 NES requests that the Commission declare that transactions involving the 
delivery of electric energy to NES, Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) 
generating facility (the NES Facility) for storage through the compression of 
air into a cavern for subsequent release through turbine generators to 
produce electric energy or ancillary services for sale or exchange at 
wholesale in interstate commerce are exclusively subject to the Commission's 
jurisdiction under Section 201 of the Federal Power Act, 16 U.S.C. oo 824- 
825r (the FPA).  

 NES states that it is developing its CAES generating facility at the site of 
an abandoned limestone mine in the City of Norton, Summit County, Ohio, near 
Akron.  NES represents that the NES Facility will eventually include 2,700 MW 
of capacity, to be constructed in individual increments of 300 MW.  According 
to NES, the NES Facility will be the first compressed air energy storage 
project to be developed in North America as a merchant facility, and only the 
third CAES facility in the world.  NES states that the NES Facility will 
employ an innovative technology that will allow NES to &store8 electric 
energy produced in one period for delivery, resale and use during a later 
period, much as a pumped storage hydroelectric facility does.  

Full notice below.
---------------------- Forwarded by Christi L Nicolay/HOU/ECT on 05/07/2001 
12:29 PM ---------------------------

"Nancy Pickover" <[email-masked]> on 05/04/2001 04:01:47 PM

 - EL01-70.1