Subject: Global Business Controllers Conference
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 04:41:00 -0700 (PDT)

All

Sally Beck, and I discussed sometime ago the need for a meeting of the key 
business unit controllers across all commodities and locations, to promote 
a global contact network ( surprisingly, this is absent with only a few 
business unit controllers known outside of their location )
common standards and best practices
a defined role of business controller - to raise the bar for these key people
common infrastructure  - where possible, given the timing/importance of 
individual business priorities
a focus on assessing operational risk within businesses - that should lend 
itself to cross prioritisation of 'Corporate' resources / attention

Given my definition of the role of a business controller ..... 
provide the overall operational risk assessment facing the business unit
assess the capacity constraints within the full business process - front to 
back - and design mitigation strategies to ensure continued growth despite 
barriers
provide the single point of contact for support the business unit heads 
Own the validitation process of the business balance sheet
Own the implementation plans for the business risk systems ( the total 
rewrite of the documentation, settlement and trade accounting systems are 
owned by me )
identify, recruit and manage the talent pool within the risk function of the 
business unit
identify opportunities to make the support infrastructure a commercial 
competetive advantage

I have planned to take the following staff to the conference in Houston
Mike Jordan  European Middle Office
James New  Gas, Power and Credit Controller 
Mike Wellings   UK Power Controller
Coralie Evans  Continental Power Controller
Robert Yeo  UK and Continental Gas Controller
Paul D,Arcy  Structured Transactions Controller
David Wall  Credit Controller
Andrew Cornfield Metals' Risk Manager ( representing Kevin Rhodes & Howard 
Carter )

This is an investment in our key risk staff and I believe the upside from 
their participation is significant. However, I have been keen to minimise 
costs and time out of the office ( by flying on Sunday ) and have obtained 
'discounts' where possible. The cost per person for the trip equates to 

Economy Flights for all   o401 + tax of o56
Hotel     $250 for 2 nights
Share of meals / entertainment cost $300 for 2 nights ( estimated )

Total EEL budget for offsite   $10,000 

Additionally  - taking all the lead risk managers / controllers out of the 
office for 2 working days represents a risk - however this is mitigated by 
the cover now in place below this team ( who are actually 'doing' the process 
) and the fact that the offsite is in Houston which would allow us to log on 
from the houston office within a few hours of being contacted by mobile phone.

If you have any questions  / concerns please contact me on 34703

Mike