Subject: Re: Customer Feedback
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:29:00 -0800 (PST)

Great job in a very short time scale.  I second Dave's comments.

David Forster
02/29/2000 08:03 PM
To: EOL Call Center, Product Control - Houston, Product Control - London
cc: Louise Kitchen/LON/ECT@ECT, Dave Samuels/LON/ECT@ECT, Rahil 
Jafry/LON/ECT@ECT, Awais Omar/LON/ECT@ECT, Marcello Romano/LON/ECT@ECT, Mark 
Dilworth/LON/ECT@ECT, Paul Goddard/LON/ECT@ECT, Mario Parra 
Cardoso/HOU/EES@EES, Bob Shults/HOU/ECT@ECT, Paul 
Smith/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Paul 
Quilkey/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT@ENRON_DEVELOPMENT, Jay Webb/HOU/ECT@ECT 
Subject: Customer Feedback

I have received a copy of the recent customer feedback forms which provide a 
powerful compliment to the work which you have all been doing in providing a 
first-class level of service to our customers.

I am very impressed that so many customers have been motivated to make such 
positive comments. Even more amazing is that I could not see a single 
negative comment anywhere in the stack. This is especially impressive, given 
the nature of a Call Center providing customer service to an IT product.

Many thanks to all of you for the job you have been doing. You make all of us 
look good.

Dave

Some of the Comments:

The help desk people are awesome.  Mary is so nice and Frank made sure I had 
what I needed.  I was and am still
amazed how helpful they are, I have never in my life experienced anything 
such as your help desk.  They actually know 
the product and can help!

Kim Ward has been very helpful and has answered any questions we might have.

Great response and follow up!

I have had good response the times I have called

Your help desk is very polite and informative.  Keep up the good work.

Kim Ward made it extremely easy to sign up and get registered as a user.

Mary Gray has been a tremendous help

I only requested help on a single occasion and was very pleased with the 
response time.  I believe her name was Lisa

Very responsive and good follow-up.

One of the best helpdesks around! I've talked to Cathy, Matt, & Lori.  Each 
is very helpful and sometimes even make me laugh.