Subject: Re: VAR FOR CREDIT TRADING
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

Please see the attached comment at the bottom of this string of e-mails.

The privilege of using Enron's balance sheet comes with the responsibility to 
adequately report the risk in the form that has been agreed to.
It is appalling to me that we are currently incapable of calculating VAR in a 
product that has been approved for trading for several months.  It is equally 
appalling that the support staff continues to be so unaware of the importance 
of this that the comments below could even be considered reasonable.  
Obviously, the individual who made the comment is hardly responsible.  It 
lies with both commercial and commercial support management.  I know that 
airing this out in such a broad way appears to be harsh.  This is not the 
point.  This is not an isolated problem.  It is not just pertaining to 
Europe. Please do not feel singled out.  But the scrutiny and pressure on VAR 
as a measure of risk continues to grow at fast pace.  We can hardly make any 
progress if this is the pervasive attitude.  Let's knock this stuff out one 
at a time.
Ted

Oliver Gaylard
06/26/2000 08:34 AM
To: David Port/Market Risk/Corp/Enron@ENRON
cc: Chris Abel/HOU/ECT@ECT, Michael E Moscoso/HOU/ECT@ECT, David A Wall/Risk 
Mgmt/LON/ECT@ECT, Ted Murphy/HOU/ECT@ECT 
Subject: Re: VAR FOR CREDIT TRADING  

The VaR engine for credit trading is being built by Research in London and it 
is intended that VaR be run daily as soon as they have produced/signed off on 
this.

Oliver

   

From:  David Port @ ENRON                                                     
        26/06/2000 14:24	

	                           

To: Chris Abel/HOU/ECT@ECT
cc: Michael E Moscoso/HOU/ECT@ECT, David A Wall/Risk Mgmt/LON/ECT@ECT, Oliver 
Gaylard/LON/ECT@ECT, Ted Murphy/HOU/ECT@ECT 

Subject: Re: VAR FOR CREDIT TRADING  

My view : Prove its insignificant by calculating it every day, that's why the 
board approved the limit.

DP

Chris Abel@ECT
06/23/2000 07:41 AM
To: David Port/Market Risk/Corp/Enron@ENRON
cc: Michael E Moscoso/HOU/ECT@ECT 

Subject: VAR FOR CREDIT TRADING

FYI
---------------------- Forwarded by Chris Abel/HOU/ECT on 06/23/2000 07:38 AM 
---------------------------

Mary Thambiah
06/23/2000 03:29 AM
To: Chris Abel/HOU/ECT@ECT
cc: David A Wall/Risk Mgmt/LON/ECT@ECT 
Subject: VAR FOR CREDIT TRADING

Hi Chris

I talked with David yesterday and we don't think the risk is significant 
enough to start calculating a VAR number.  However if you have any queries 
feel free to give him a call.

Rgds
Mary