Subject: Various Environmental Issues
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:15:00 -0800 (PST)

Good seeing you again.  As I mentioned yesterday, I am sending you a copy of 
the Conservation Easement that has been granted to Cal Dept of Fish and Game 
over the NCL property.  I would appreciate if you could get a copy to John 
Schaefer (I couldn't find him in the Enron directory).

 As you will see, the Conservation Easement references the State Endangered 
Species Take Permit I gave you previously, so the two should be read in 
conjuction.  Also, I wanted to let you and whoever in environmental ends up 
servicing the assets out here two other things:  first, Kenny Maltby of ETS 
Bakersfield is our designated "representative responsible for communications 
with the Department and for overseeing compliance with th[e Take permit]", as 
specified in section 5.1 of the permit.  (Kenny and I are really the only 
personnel in California who are aware of the Permit and its requirements.)  

 Second, various sections of the permit require use of " a knowledgeable, 
experienced biologist."   (See e.g., Section 5.4.)  We have been using a 
biologist in Bakersfield, Randi McCormick, for this purpose for years.  I 
strongly urge we continue to use her because she knows our operations, knows 
our people, knows our contractors, knows our habitat, knows our permit 
conditions, has good relations/credibility  with Cal. Fish and Game and US 
Fish and Wildlife, and has always been reasonable with and responsive to us.  
I would like to get her on a contract wth ETS.

 Lastly, I am getting more eager to see and discuss the results of the audit 
now after your statements regarding the credibility of the sampling in the 
1997 "baseline" study done by WZI.  (It's a very interesting issue for many 
reasons, which I'll spare going into here; obviously, the crux of my concern 
is that it may not be much of a baseline at all.)  So, I would like to have 
some input into the question of how "resampling" would be done, if possible, 
because of the Koch indemnification issues presented.  So please be sure that 
your enviro folks remember our EOTT company motto: "Call Before you Dig!"

 Again, good seeing you and the crew, and I look forward to talking about 
these and other issues again real soon.  In particular, if there's any other 
info i can get your enviro folks that they'd find helpful, please let me 
know. --ETA