Subject: Sun Devil - Helicopter Fly-Over of Routes
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:33:00 -0700 (PDT)

Larry,

Please give me a report following your fly-over of the route with Doug 
Cebryk.  I am very interested in what you see and the potentials that are 
there.  Don't forget to take your camera.  Pictures (slides) would be most 
helpful as we work through the early planning stages for the greenfield 
portion.  As the primary route begins to solidify with alternates, we will 
need to develop some preliminary maps.  It is my understanding that no maps 
of the route will be released with sign-off from the entire group of: Hyatt, 
Taylor, Veatch and Shafer.

After we receive the "fatal-flaw" desk-top analysis from ENSR (Sept. 21 - 
although I hope to get it sooner), I would offer that several events should 
be scheduled to expedite the project as follows:
1. If the open season reflects that we have a project and Eric Gadd approves, 
a couple of quick meetings will be held with strategic groups to discuss the 
project potential (TNC, State Land Managing agencies, US Forest Service, 
etc).  These strategic groups will be identified by the ENSR fatal-flaw 
analysis.
2. Simultaneously, we will begin working with ENSR (if the open season 
reflects that we have a project) on developing a full scoped Environmental 
Strategy for Sun Devil (this will include an RFP that will immediately go out 
soliciting bids for the Resource Reports and permits). 
3. We will work with Steve Veatch and Joe Hartso to schedule a meeting with 
the FERC Staff (we need the commitment of the State Land Managing Agencies, 
US Forest Service, etc. to collaborate with the FERC on the NEPA review) to 
introduce the project and solicit their commitment to offer staff resources 
early in the process.
4. We will also need to develop a Public Relations and Government Affairs 
strategy which will identify the early meetings that need to be held with 
local, state, federal jurisdictional governing bodies and politicians - so 
the right folks have a heads-up on the project before it hits the news 
media.  This also includes developing a strategy on where and when the 
project will formally be announced (i.e., news conference in Phoenix or 
Houston, etc.).  A $580 Million project will be a big deal in the Phoenix 
area and for the Southwest.

I know there is more, but this will help to keep some of the early events 
coordinated.  John Shafer