Subject: Senate letter
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Good work Jeff.  Dunn would think twice after receiving it.  The
following are some general comments about the letter, which makes some
excellent points.  First, I think the letter should go to all Senators
individually, by name.  Perhaps a more productive approach may be to
point out to them  that they should clearly understand the ramifications
of what they are voting on when they vote on the contempt order (rather
than point out to Dunn the error of his ways).  Rather than focus on
Dunn's committee, maybe we lay out the facts of the negotiation that led
us to court and urge them to consider them before they take this
historic vote.  We can still say we weren't part of the original 1890
problem and we're only an infintesimal part of the current problem.  But
from there we should ask them to stand up for due process and civil
rights and use the arguments in the letter to support why they ought to
reject the contempt order.  Using liberal arguments to a democrat
audience makes some sense in this regard, but we might need help from
Sanders on the civil libertarian arguments that sell best.

An interesting opening might be:  Several politicians in California have
confided to Enron representatives over the course of the last several
months that politics is a "blame game", and unfortunately Enron makes an
excellent target.  While we at Enron understand the need to blame
outsiders when things go wrong, we believe that you will be going much
further than blaming if you vote to place Enron in contempt of the
Senate Select Committee to Investigate Price Manipulation of the
Wholesale Energy Market. You will, in fact, be eroding the basic
protections afforded citizens bla, bla,, bla.

Its late in the day and I'm leaving for a short break tomorrow so I'm
rambling.  But you get my idea.  Ignore at will.   I won't be checking
e-mail until Aug. 13th but my cell phone may be working at the farm in
North Dakota (and I may want to connect with civilization, so don't
hesitate to call).