Subject: Metering Issues at San Jose
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:27:00 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff - another issue for you to sink your teeth into. 
You may be aware that at San Jose we recently installed a bi-directional 
meter to accommodate the PG&E power purchase agreement (PPA,sell to grid) and 
the regular intake off the grid.
As we positioned ourselves to be the 'buy and sell' MDMA, PG&E has informed 
us, and SJSU, that the PPA stipulates that only PG&E meter data can be used 
to determine power purchase payments. The PG&E ESP Relations Department has 
internally protested this arrangement but the PG&E lawyers apparently 
prevailed. 
Since PG&E was not clear on this during the meter installation arrangement, 
PG&E has now decided to disconnect the outflow channel of the customer-owned 
meter and install its own meter at PG&E expense.
This is a ludicrous but workable solution. Until the PG&E meter is installed, 
our webpage info will be used to determine the payments to SJSU. 
We are currently discussing a similar meter installation at Santa Cruz, and I 
am sure that others will follow on sites where customers have generation. We 
need to convince PG&E that customer-owned meters are just as good if not 
better than their meters and that their position is arcane. Will this be 
covered in the current proceedings before the CPUC?   

Dirk A.van Ulden
(925) 543-3879
Fax (925) 543-3550
[email-masked]