Subject: RE: UK Government secundee to Enron?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

I'm comfortable, so long as Rick and Paul are as well.

Best,
Jeff

	Paul Dawson/Enron@EUEnronXGate
	06/26/2001 04:01 AM
		 
		 To: Paul Kaufman/ENRON@enronXgate, Jeff Dasovich/NA/Enron@Enron
		 cc: Mark Schroeder/ENRON@enronXgate, Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron@Enron
		 Subject: RE: UK Government secundee to Enron?

As Mark mentioned, I would recommend Edward Barker.  He is closely involved 
in NETA and has a good understanding of power and gas markets. I also 
wouldn't be concerned about whether CA is relevant - it is a major issue here 
and on the Continent as the EU states begin to look at security of supply and 
how they can avoid "doing a California".  Edward is sufficiently bright and 
discerning to recognise any evidence he picks up in CA for what it is.

Based on the exchange of correspondence below, I will get back to Ian 
Fletcher and ask for Edward's CV etc and indicate that we would be prepared 
to consider a role in San Francisco (with some flexibility).  Please confirm 
that you are happy for me to progress this further with the DTI.

Thanks

Paul

 -----Original Message-----
From:  Schroeder, Mark  
Sent: 25 June 2001 21:47
To: Dawson, Paul
Cc: Shapiro, Richard
Subject: FW: UK Government secundee to Enron?

Paul D. - fyi.  You should also ask Ian for a copy of his CV.   thanks  mcs

 -----Original Message-----
From:  Shapiro, Richard  
Sent: 25 June 2001 15:09
To: Schroeder, Mark
Subject: RE: UK Government secundee to Enron?

---------------------- Forwarded by Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron on 06/25/2001 
03:08 PM ---------------------------
From: Paul Kaufman/ENRON@enronXgate on 06/25/2001 02:59 PM
To: Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron@Enron, Jeff Dasovich/NA/Enron@Enron
cc:  

Subject: RE: UK Government secundee to Enron?

I'd like to see his resume.  I don't know that California work will be 
particularly informative--given the uniqueness of that great state, but we no 
doubt can find a use for his skills.  I would want to see his CV.  It would 
be a nonstarter for me if he was unwilling to travel to SFO or Portland on 
regular basis.  However, the travel could be 3-4 days a week--i.e., he could 
travel up on Monday and go home on Thursday.  (Or some other such schedule).  
 -----Original Message-----
From:  Shapiro, Richard  
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 11:29 AM
To: Dasovich, Jeff; Kaufman, Paul
Cc: Dawson, Paul; Mark Schroeder/Enron@ENRON
Subject: UK Government secundee to Enron?

What do you think?
---------------------- Forwarded by Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron on 06/25/2001 
01:25 PM ---------------------------
From: Mark Schroeder/ENRON@enronXgate on 06/25/2001 01:22 PM
To: Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron@Enron
cc: Paul Dawson/Enron@EUEnronXGate 

Subject: UK Government secundee to Enron?

Rick - I just got a call from Ian Fletcher, head of the Utilities Regulation 
unit at the UK Department of Trade and Industry.  He reports to Anna Walker, 
the Director General of Energy at the DTI.  Ian also knows Paul, and I am 
sure that he only called me because he now knew of my US location.  Anyway, 
here is what he asked:  They have a highly regarded junior civil servant, 
Edward Barker (Paul and I have both met him, and rate him high), who is 
getting married, and wants to locate to Los Angeles for a year while his 
fiance/wife completes a Ph.D. at some school there.  The UK DTI will keep 
paying him, so he is effectively free to us.  They want a relevant job/work 
experience for him.  Ian does not know about his willingness to commute 
during the week from San Francisco to LA (I told Ian we were receptive to 
these kinds of things, if all else worked out), but will check.  I think it 
would be good for Enron (Paul D. may have views on this), not only for 
endearing Enron to key relationships at DTI, but exposing a UK civil servant 
to the transparency of our regulation, US-style, cannot hurt either, as that 
is something Paul is on a long march to improve in the UK.  I would think 
challenging research, attendance at settlement conferences, some memo 
writing, etc. would be sufficient (actually, that would be a bit below the 
policy-formation role he now occupies), but do you have any thoughts?   I can 
get his CV when you need it.  thanks  mcs