Subject: Re: Media Inquiries
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 04:24:00 -0800 (PST)

Mark:
I don't know how any "concerns" I may have raised reached you, but rest 
assured that there are no worries from my end.  

I saw the piece on the local news.  Vacar's on a one-person crusade to kill 
capitalism, that's certain.  It was very clear that you were taken horribly 
out of context, and they did you a great disservice.  

Just between us chickens, it did come up as if you were implying that there's 
some reasonable likelihood that manipulation's the culprit.  You can imagine 
just how sensitive we are to that issue.  But I don't think that you should 
sweat it.  In a very brief conversation with Mike Day I mentioned the piece 
and that they got you responding to manipulation (i.e., "when'd you stop 
beating your wife) on camera.  So agitated was I that I didn't even bother to 
bring it up with Herr Fawcett.  So again, thanks much for the note, but no 
big deal.

Now for my two cents:

Question:  "what's the problem?"  answer:  "very bad state energy 
policy---and here are the five big regulatory problems standing in the way of 
a solution for California....."  

"market manipulation?  well, those charges are raised in every industry, 
whenever prices spike.  the lion's share of the time, it turns out to be 
market fundamentals."

Appreciate your note.  Thanks.

Jeff