Subject: Update--Day of California PUC Hearings
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], ginger
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 03:13:00 -0800 (PST)

The Commission closed the hearings last night at 7 PM.
The Commission refused all attempts by the utilities'--and there were 
several--to get information on "ending the rate freeze" into the hearing 
record.
The Commission is attempting to get a draft decision out at 10 AM today (PST).
If it gets out, there will be oral argument at 12:30 today (PST), with final 
decision issued tomorrow at the Commission's regularly scheduled business 
meeting.
If it does not get out, there will be no oral argument, and the Commission 
will issue its final decision tomorrow at its regularly scheduled business 
meeting.
Anything could happen but it appears at this point that the decision will 
only address the need for a rate increase (rumors flyling furiously regarding 
how high the increase will be), with "rate freeze" issues put off for another 
day in the near future.
Yesterday, the Governor of California joined Edison's suit against FERC 
calling for region-wide, hard price caps.