Subject: [Fwd: True Orange, May 15, 2000, Part 1]
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 05:07:00 -0700 (PDT)

(152.163.225.162)  by umbs-smtp-5 with SMTP; 15 May 2000 16:38:25 -0000
Received: from [email-masked] by imo-r20.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v26.7.) id 
n.c6.536f03b (3929)  for <[email-masked]>; Mon, 15 May 2000 12:16:26 -0400 
(EDT)
From: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:16:25 EDT
Subject: True Orange, May 15, 2000, Part 1
To: [email-masked]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Mac - Post-GM sub 147
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000

Jerry Scarbrough's True Orange
The Newsletter for the True Texas Longhorn Faithful

Volume 10, No. 17, May 15, 2000

Brown Says Offensive Line Much Improved, Cites Other Problems Heading into
2-a-Days

Coach Mack Brown says he and his assistant coaches have thoroughly reviewed
the tapes of the Longhorns 15 spring practices and have concluded it was a
very productive period.
The offensive line has received much of the blame for the late-season
Longhorn swoon last year, but Brown says the offensive linemen, as a group,
showed a lot more maturity and perseverance in the spring.
"I think the offensive line improved a lot," he told me in an interview last
week.
Asked what he thought prompted the improvement, he said, "The embarrassment
they felt leaving the Cotton Bowl and the fact that they have been together a
year more."
While he didn't elaborate on the maturity question, it is worth noting that
four of the five offensive linemen who started in the spring have never
redshirted.
The reason they never redshirted is the lack of  depth in the offensive line
when they got here, which forced Brown to play most of the linemen when they
were true freshmen.
At Nebraska, which has been the top program in the Big 12 year in and year
out, all offensive linemen redshirt and most of them don't start until their
fourth year when they are redshirt juniors.
Applying that yardstick to the Texas' offensive line, none of the four spring
starters would have started last year, and only senior LT Leonard Davis and
junior center Matt Anderson would start this year because they are entering
their fourth seasons.
There are exceptions, even at Nebraska, because their center last season was
a third-year sophomore, but the Huskers ) and the other teams who seem to
always be in the hunt for the national championship ) go mostly with
fourth-and-fifth-year players (redshirted juniors and seniors) in their
offensive lines.
The five offensive line starters at Nebraska this spring already have 18
seasons in the Husker program under their belts. The Longhorns' five spring
starters have 11.
The Longhorns should be able to able to overcome their youth to some extent
because four of the spring starters ) Davis, Anderson, junior RG Antwan
Kirk-Hughes and junior RT Mike Williams ) all started last season, and
sophomore LG Derrick Dockery played often and well last year as a true
freshman.
That means they know what it takes to win and have the experience to help
them do it.
Brown did say he thinks the Longhorns can redshirt their offensive line
recruits this year "if we can avoid injuries." That bodes well for the future.
But, when the Horns start 2-a-days in early August, Brown said there are four
problem areas where major improvements must be made for the Longhorns to be
able to compete at the highest level ) and only one of them directly involves
the offensive line.
"First, he said, "we need to do a better job of net punting."
"Second, we need to do a better job returning punts and kickoffs."
"Third, we need to do a better job of making four-yard plays consistently on
offense. That will help with ball control and will help take the pressure off
our passing game."
"Fourth, we need to do better job of getting a good pass rush out of our
front four."
The Longhorns made a lot of progress in the spring in each of those areas,
but Brown said they have to keep working hard in each area to get even better.
Former walk-on Ryan Long, who handled the punting last season, and Kris
Stockton, the Horns' regular place kicker, both worked hard on punting during
the spring and both were able to get good heighth and good distance on most
of their kicks.
But look for incoming freshman punter Justin Smith to get a chance to win the
starting job.
Even more improvement was shown in the spring in the other three areas.
CB Ahmad Brooks showed promise as a punt returner in the spring and redshirt
freshman RB Ivan Williams looked very good as a kickoff returner.
They should enable the Horns to be  better in both kick return areas if they
improve as much during 2-a-days as they did in the 15 spring practices.
Williams also is the main hope of showing improvement in problem area No. 3 )
doing a better job of making consistent four-yard gains. He is a 235-pounder
with speed and power and he can catch the ball, too.
One important thing to remember about big running backs, in addition to the
obvious characteristics, is the fact that offensive linemen tend to block
better for them because they want to get out of their way.
If you ever played in the offensive line at any level and had a big running
back step on the back of your legs because you didn't get out of his way,
you'll know why they make an extra effort to get a good block when they know
a 235-pounder is coming through their area.
While the coaches saw some things they liked in those first three areas, No.
4 ) getting a better pash rush out of the front four ) was a big-time winner
the spring and should get even better during the pre-season practices.
Why? For starters, the best pair of tackles in all of college football return
in seniors Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers. Hampton is a returning
All-American and Rogers is rated even higher by the pro scouts.
Rogers is a great pass rusher and Hampton, the team's best run stopper, is a
good one.
And sophomore end Cory Redding is a future All-American who is an outstanding
pass rusher, and, while the coaches aren't satisfied the play of the guys at
the other end, all three of them ) Jermain Anderson, Maurice Gordon and Adam
McConathy ) are very good at rushing the passer. Their problem is holding up
against the run.
So, while the Longhorns have work to do to reach the playing level the
coaches demand, they have a very good chance to do a lot better in all of the
categories Brown mentioned except net punting, and they should be able to
show some improvement there because it isn't too hard to improve on a 29-yard
net punting average that ranked 111th of 114 teams playing Division I
football.
Here's what Brown had to say on several other subjects:
Do you expect Major Applewhite to be ready to go full speed when practice
starts in early August? Doctors usually say it takes about nine months and he
was operated on in mid-January, so he'll only have about seven months until
practice starts.
"I don't know," he said. "I've been around long enough, and I've had five of
them (knee operations) myself, to know that sometimes you seem to be ahead of
schedule and then things seem to go a little slower. There are still some
questions and concerns there and we'll just have to wait and see."
After studying the film of the 15 spring practices, who were your most
pleasant surprises?
"There were a lot of pleasant surprises. Beau Baker had a good spring and is
challenging Matt Anderson at center. We expected (redshirt freshman) Artie
Ellis to be pretty good, but he really jumped out and showed he has the
potential to help at wide receiver."
"Ivan Williams probably came farther than anybody. Matt Trissel had a good spr
ing at fullback. Leonard Davis had his best spring, by far (at offensive
tackle)."
"On defense, Jermain Anderson came back at 228 pounds and in good health and
he looked good at end. We're working to get him a little bigger. D. D. Lewis
had by far his best spring (at middle linebacker) and Reed Boyd, backing him
up, had a great spring, too."
"Quentin Jammer had a real good spring until he got hurt, but he looked
really good at corner. Dakarai Pearson looked real good at free safety."
"It wasn't any surprise, but those two defensive tackles are real good,"
"What's your biggest concern about having to play 11 straight games without
an open date?
"We're going to have to play a lot of people. We felt like we got worn down
last year at the end of the season, and we've worked to build better depth so
we can play more people. We're going to do that to try to keep our people
fresher."
Let's talk about the chances of some of those heralded freshman wide
receivers helping out early.
"Well, a guy can play there quicker. It's less physical than most of the
other positions. The main thing will be learning how to handle the
bump-and-ran coverage. We're telling them to come in ready to compete for
playing time."

Hall Will Transfer

Redshirt freshman QB Adam Hall has asked for and has been granted an
unconditional release and plans to transfer to another school this summer.
Hall, an Austin Westlake product, was the backup to sophomore Chris Simms
during spring practice while junior Major Applewhite was recovering from
major knee surgery.
He had a very good spring, and was really adept at throwing on the run.
His departure will leave the Longhorns with just three scholarship
quarterbacks this season ) Applewhite, Simms and incoming freshman Chance
Mock of The Woodlands.
And that is based on the assumption that Applewhite's knee will be strong
enough to allow him to be ready at the start of the season.
"It was a difficult decision, but one that I think is the best for me at this
time," Hall said. "The biggest factor was that I want to have a chance to be
a starter in the near future."
"I love all of my teammates and appreciate everything the coaches and staff
have done for me, but I think I will have a better opportunity to play sooner
at another school."
"Obviously we are disappointed because we felt that Adam had a good spring
and we have been very pleased with his progress," Brown said.
"We wish him the very best and appreciate everything he has done for the
University of Texas and its football program."

Revisiting the Offense

After looking at the statistics of all of last season's game, I feel much
better about the Texas offense.
Through the first 11 games last season, UT was averaging 448 yards a game and
had the league's second-ranked offense. Texas also had been outgained only
once, in the  win over Nebraska.
But QB Major Applewhite was healthy and WRs Kwame Cavil and Ryan Nunez were
teaming up to outgain 1998's dynamic duo of Wane McGarity and Cavil. Jeremy
Jones was also providing quality time at WR.
Against good defenses, they were the straws that stirred the Longhorn offense.
When the offensive meltdown occurred in the last three games, injuries to
Nunez and Jones, Applewhite's illness before the A&M game and Cavil's
suspension before the Arkansas game kept them from ever being being all
together again.
Fear of those potent weapons had kept teams from blitzing effectively, but,
with one or more of those weapons missing in each of last three games, teams
were able to blitz too many people to block without fear of getting burned
deep.
I doubt Texas could have beaten Nebraska a second time in one year, but I'd
like to have played A&M and Arkansas with everybody healthy.
It's true that those receivers are gone, but TE Bo Scaife and a bigger,
faster corps of WRs will make all-out blitzing much more dangerous for other
teams. Look for a return to those 400-plus-yard offensive averages in 2000.

It's a Great Time to Subscribe
To The Fax/E-Mail Service
Get Instant Year-Round Fax/E-Mail
Service Anytime Something
Important Happens !
Save As An E-Mail Subscriber !
The True Orange Fax/E-Mail Service is the way to keep up with Longhorn
football and Longhorn recruiting ) instantly. Follow Mack Brown and the
Longhorns with frequent fax updates. There are at least 99 timely faxes a
year, primarily about football and football recruiting.  To  subscribe, send
your check to True Orange, Box 26530, Austin, Texas 78755, and copy or clip
the coupon below and fill in the blanks. If you want it mailed, or by E-Mail,
just include the right numbers.

o I'm enclosing $99 for the 99-fax package for the next year
o I'm enclosing $130 (a $14 saving) to renew my subscription to True Orange
and to subscribe to the 99 faxes.
o I'm enclosing $79 for the 99-fax package for the next year by E-Mail (a $20
saving)
o Here's  $110 to renew my subscription to True Orange and to subscribe to
the 99 faxes by E-Mail (a $31 saving)
o Here's  $99 to subscribe to True Orange by E-Mail and to subscribe to the
99 faxes by E-Mail (a $42 saving)

Name

Fax No.
(or E-Mail or mailing address)

The Pre-Season Blue Chips

Here's my revised list of the top Texas football recruits. The ones in bold
type are my early Fabulous 40. I decided to run the list again this month
because there are so many changes in the wake of the Nike camps and early
college scouting. I also trimmed the list from 100 to 80 because I wanted to
limit it to kids who are being heavily recruited by Division I schools.
(Note to E-Mail Subscribers: I have put four asterisks (****) between the Fab
40 and Elite 80 guys at each position)

The Earlybird Elite 80 Recruits

Quarterback (7)
Matt Nordgren, 6-5, 225, 4.7, Dallas Bishop Lynch (Stan, Fla, FSU, Tenn, ND)
Mike Pankratz, 6-3, 200, 4.8, Katy Taylor (A&M, UCLA, OU, KSU, UT, ND)
* * * *
Davon Vinson, 6-3, 185, 4.5, Kilgore (A&M, Ark, OU, Bay)
Brett Stewart, 6-2, 178, 4.7, Waco Midway (A&M, Bay, UT, TCU, OU, Ark, TT)
Cody Hodges, 6-0, 175, 4.7, Hereford (TT, A&M, Bay)
Kyle Kummer, 6-1, 180, 4.7, SA Churchill (A&M, TCU, Stan, SMU, Colo, Duke)
David Mitchell, 6-3, 205, 4.8, FW Country Day (SMU, Bay, Miss, Ky, Ind, TCU)

Running Back (6)
Cedric Benson, 5-11, 200, 4.5, Midland Lee (UT, Ala, A&M, OU, Ark, Az, Wi
David Underwood, 6-0, 220, 4.4, Madisonville (Mich, A&M, UCLA, UT, LSU)
Donta Hickson, 5-9, 180, 4.5, McKinney (FSU, A&M, OU, Mich, Neb, UT)
* * * *
David Williams, 5-11, 180, 4.5, Carrollton Smith (A&M, FSU, TCU, Pur, OU)
Anthony Evans, 5-9, 195, 4.5, Pearland (Bay, A&M, UT, Neb, UCLA)
Cody Thibodeaux, 6-1, 200, 4.5, Winnie East Chambers (Neb, A&M, LSU, Fla,
UCLA)

Fullback (3)
Darnell Sims, 6-2, 230, 4.7, Aldine (A&M, UH, LSU)
* * * *
Jonathan Reeves, 6-0, 242, 4.68, Fort Bend Austin (A&M, Ark, UT)
Colby Ford, 6-1, 210, 4.6, Big Spring (TT, OU, Az)

Tight End (2)
James Moses, 6-3, 225, 4.7, GP North Shore ((UT, A&M, Az, Mich)
* * * *
Brian Wang, 6-6, 250, 4.9, FW Southwest Christian (TCU, A&M, Bay, Ark, OU)

Wide Receiver (9)
Armon Dorrough, 6-1, 168, 4.43, Lancaster (A&M, TCU, NW, BYU, NM)
Brandon Jones, 6-3, 205, 4.4, Texark. Liberty-Eylau (Ky, A&M, FSU, Pur, UT)
Bennie Brazell, 6-2, 168, 4.4, Houston Westbury (UCLA, Ark, Fla, LSU, Mia)
Thomson Omboga, 6-2, 175, 4.5, Grand Prairie (ND, Ga, Mo, A&M, UT, TCU)
Cedric Williams, 6-0, 170, 4.4, Jefferson (KSU, Tenn, FSU, Neb, A&M, OU)
* * * *
Keith Mills, 5-11, 175, 4.4, Garland (A&M, Fla, UT, FSU, TT, OU)
Terrence Thomas, 5-9, 175, 4.4, Hstn Washington (Fla, Miami, FSU, UH)
T. J. Jenkins, 5-11, 180, 4.4, Dallas Hillcrest (FSU, TCU, Fla, TT, UT)
Jamel Branch, 5-10, 175, 4.45, Katy (PSU, A&M, Ky, Fla, ND)

Offensive Line (13)
Jonathan Scott, 6-7, 290, 4.9, Dallas Carter (UT, FSU, Mich, Fla, OSU)
Jami Hightower, 6-4, 295, 5.2, Jacksonville (UT, A&M, FSU, OSU, TCU)
Ben Wilkerson, 6-4, 265, 4.9, Hemphill (A&M, ND, Neb, Ky, Bay)
William Winston, 6-6, 330, 5.3, Houston Madison (UT, A&M, LSU, UCLA, Syr)
Abe Robinson, 6-6, 270, 4.9, Jersey Village (FSU, UT, A&M, UCLA)
Roman Reeves, 6-6, 295, 5.2, Livingston (A&M, ND, OU, UT, TCU, UH)
Shane Simms, 6-2, 300, 4.9, Tomball (UT, A&M, Colo)
* * * *
Terrance Young, 6-6, 330, 5.5, Longview (A&M, UT, OU, Ark)
Mike Garcia, 6-5, 280, 5.2, Galena Park (A&M Commitment)
Vince Carter, 6-3, 260, 5.0, Waco (Ark, A&M, OU, Mich, FSU, Colo, UT)
Will Allen, 6-5, 300, 5.3, Cypress Falls (A&M, Tenn, UT, FSU, KSU, Ark)
E. J. Whitley, 6-5, 290, 5.3, Texas City (A&M, Mich, UT, Ky)
Victor Mercado, 6-4, 295, 5.1, Irving (KSU, UT, A&M)

Defensive End (8)
Kevin Everett, 6-5, 225, 4.6, Port Arthur Jefferson (UT, ND, Colo)
Lawrence Hooper, 6-4, 255, 4.7, Aldine (A&M, PSU, Colo, FSU, KSU)
Simeon Jones, 6-3, 240, 4.7, Houston Jones (A&M, UH, Colo, UT, Bay)
McKenzie Tilmon, 6-3, 235, 4.7, Irving MacArthur (KSU, UT, A&M, Tenn)
Jamie Jackson, 6-3, 225, 4.7 Andrews (TT, OU, A&M, UT)
Colin Allred, 6-3, 225, 4.7, Dallas Hillcrest (UT, Neb, TT, TCU, Mich)
* * * *
Bret Rayl, 6-7, 265, 4.9, Lewisville (A&M, FSU, OU, PSU, UT, TCU)
Quintene Newhouse, 6-2, 250, 4.64, Emory Rains (A&M, Ky, Mich, UT, Bay, TCU)

Defensive Tackle (7)
Tommie Harris, 6-3, 280, 4.8, Killeen Ellison (UT, A&M, Tenn, TCU, FSU, Fla)
Thomas Derricks, 6-1, 275, 4.9, Dallas Jesuit (ND, A&M, TCU, Bay, UT, NW, Ten)
Clayton Harmon, 6-6, 260, 5.1, Stephenville (A&M, TT, Colo)
Sharod McGowan, 6-2, 250, 4.7, Waco (A&M, UT, TT, NC, OU)
* * * *
Brandon Goodlett, 6-2, 280, 5.1, Conroe (Ky, OU, Neb, UT)
Jeremy Calahan, 6-3, 260, 5.0, Pflugerville (UT, ND, A&M, OSU, Stan, TCU, Van)
Fred Thwreat, 6-2, 270, 4.9, Midland Lee (TT, A&M, Az)

Outside Linebacker (7)
Derrick Johnson, 6-3, 205, 4.5, Waco (UT, FSU, KSU, A&M, OU, TCU, UCLA)
Jonathon Jackson, 6-2, 220, 4.56, GP North Shore (UT, PSU, FSU)
* * * *
Shawn Willis 6-2, 215, 4.6, Flatonia (A&M, FSU, UT, Bay, TT)
Lance McFarland, 6-2, 210, 4.6, Jefferson (KSU, UT, A&M, FSU, Bay)
Justin Crooks, 6-1, 210, 4.6, Round Rock McNeil (UT, A&M, Rice, TCU, Bay)
Lee Foliaki, 6-2, 200, 4.5, Euless Trinity (A&M, UT, FSU, Neb, KSU, TCU)
Jacoby Reese, 6-1, 205, 4.6, Irving (KSU, Colo, UT, A&M)

Inside Linebacker (2)
Jeff Billings, 6-2, 232, 4.7, Pasadena Rayburn (A&M, Ky, Az, ASU, NW)
* * * *
David Pinkney, 6-0, 220, 4.6, Houston Milby (A&M, Az, Mich, LSU, VT, FSU

Cornerback (7)
Moses Harris, 6-1, 170, 4.4, Dallas Carter (UT, OU, Mia, Ky)
Byron Jones, 5-10, 180, 4.4, Bay City (LSU, UCLA, A&M, NW, Ark)
Cedric Griffin, 6-1, 180, 4.42, San Antonio Holmes (Wash, A&M, Neb, UT, Colo)
* * * *
Dee Durham, 5-11, 174, 4.4, Mansfield (Colo, Mich, Mia, OSU, VT)
Warren Wilson, 6-0, 170, 4.4, Texas City (Pur, A&M, LSU, Ky, Az)
Anthony Kelly, 6-0, 175, 4.5, Ald. Eisenhower (A&M, LSU, Colo, KSU, Ill, Bay)
Courtney Sterling, 5-7, 170, 4.4, Dallas Carter (FSU, Tenn, UT, Mia, UCLA,
ASU)

Safety (3)
DeWayne Brandon, 6-3, 198, 4.46, Temple  (UT, Neb, FSU, A&M, Ky)
Rufus Harris, 6-0, 180, 4.4, LaPorte (A&M, Az, ISU, Mia, Ky)
* * * *
Marcus Maxey, 6-2, 195, 4.5, Navasota (A&M, UH, Rice, Bay)

Athlete (6)
Joseph Addai, 6-1, 195, 4.5, Houston Sharpstown (UT, Neb, Kan, VT, A&M)
Quan Cosby, 5-10, 180, 4.4, Mart (UT, A&M, Tenn, FSU, Bay)
Ryan Gilbert, 5-11, 180, 4.4, Dallas Hillcrest (UT, Mich, Neb, Mia, Tenn, FSU)
* * * *
Ganius Scott, 5-9, 170, 4.4, La Porte (FSU, Az, Tenn, Mia, UT, Ky)
Kendall Briles, 5-10, 175, 4.5, Wolfforth Frenship (UT, TT, Neb, LSU, Ok St)
Taurean Henderson, 5-10, 170, 4.5, Gatesville (Bay, UT, TCU, Gramb, UCLA)
* * * *
The 25 "Difference Makers"
These are Texas' top 25 players, in my opinion:
1. DT Tommie Harris, Killeen Ellison
2. OL Jonathan Scott, Dallas Carter
3. OL Jami Hightower, Jacksonville
4. LB Derrick Johnson, Waco
5. TE James Moses, Galena Park North Shore
6. RB Cedric Benson, Midland Lee
7. WR Armon Dorrough, Lancaster
8. DE Kevin Everett, Port Arthur Jefferson
9. WR Brandon Jones, Texarkana Liberty Eylau
10. C Ben Wilkerson, Hemphill
11. RB David Underwood, Madisonville
12. DE Lawrence Hooper, Aldine
13. S DeWayne Brandon, Temple
14. Ath Joseph Addai, Houston Sharpstown
15. WR Bennie Brazell, Houston Westbury
16. Ath Quan Cosby, Mart
17. CB Moses Harris, Dallas Carter
18. LB Jonathon Jackson, Galena Park North Shore
19. RB Donta Hickson, McKinney
20. QB Matt Nordgren, Dallas Bishop Lynch
21. CB Byron Jones, Bay City
22. DT Thomas Derricks, Dallas Jesuit
23. Ath Ryan Gilbert, Dallas Hillcrest
24. OL William Winston, Houston Madison
25. OL Abe Robinson, Jersey Village

Out-of-State Prospects

The Longhorns are recruiting several out-of-state players. Here are the ones
who are considering UT:
Quarterback
Perrin Rittiner, 6-3, 215, 4.7, New Orleans Jesuit (LSU, Miss, UT, Ala)
Travis Jackson, 6-4, 212, 4.6, Olathe, Kan., South (OU, Stan, Pur, ND, KSU,
UT)
Ronnie Prude, 6-0, 175, 4.4, Shreveport Fair Park (LSU, Tenn, A&M, UT)
Dayne Ashley, 6-3, 190, 4.7, Jena, La. (LSU, UT, Ala, A&M)
Running Back
Eric Shelton, 6-3, 235, 4.5, Lexington, Ky., B. Station (OSU, Mich, PSU,
Tenn, UT)
Jabari Davis, 5-11, 224, 4.5, Tucker, Ga. (Ga, Tenn, UT, Neb, Ala)
Seymore Shaw, 6-0, 210, 4.45, Shawnee, Ok. (Ok St, OU, UT, Neb)
Donald Dorham, 5-10, 215, 4.45, Chicago Mt. Carmel (Fla, UT, PSU, Mich)
Fullback
James Buchanan, 6-2, 240, 4.7, Sarasota, Fla. Mooney (FSU, ND, UT, Fla, Mich,
Neb)
Tight End
Kory Hebert, 6-5, 225, 4.6, Lafayette, La., Teurlings Catholic (LSU, UT)
John Boutte, 6-3, 230, 4.7, Lake Charles, La., Boston (LSU, Tenn, UT)
Wide Receiver
Lynzell Jackson, 6-3, 175, 4.4, Tempe, Az., Union (ASU, Az, UT, UCLA)
Offensive Line
Aaron Wells, 6-7, 395, 5.4, Chicago Morgan Park (Mich, Fla, Ga, GT, UT)
Defensive End
Eric Hall, 6-3, 232, 4.5, Clarksville, Tenn., NW (FSU, UT, Ten, Neb, LSU)
Defensive Tackle
Marcus Spears, 6-5, 275, 4.8, Baton Rouge S. Lab (LSU, A&M, Mich, UT)
Marquise Hill, 6-7, 290, 4.8, N. Orleans D. Salle (FSU, LSU, Mich, A&M, UT)
Cornerback
Roger Ross, 5-10, 180, 4.45, Denver Jefferson (Colo, UT, ND, Kan, UCLA)
Safety
Brandon Williams, 6-2, 207, 4.5, Port Allen, La. (LSU, FSU, UT, Tenn)

900 Number Updated Often

I update my 900 number every Wednesday and Sunday by 8 p.m. with recruiting
and other football news.  The number is 1-900-288-8839. It costs $1.59 a
minute. You must be 18 to call.

Mihm Turns Pro; Barnes Cupboard Far from Bare

All-America center Chris Mihm announced Friday he is passing up his senior
season at Texas to follow his life-long dream of playing in the NBA.
"It was a tough choice because I love the program at UT, but I believe I'm
doing what makes the most sense," Mihm said.
Mihm, who led the Longhorns in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots last
season, is projected as a top five pick in the NBA draft next month.
If  Mihm had returned for his senior season, the Longhorns probably would
have been a pre-season top 10 team, but coach Rick Barnes' cupboard if far
from bare and they should be a top 20 team without him.
Among the six returning lettermen are 6-8 junior forward Chris Owens, a power
in the paint, and 6-3 senior guard Darren Kelly, a sharpshooter and strong
defender.
Other lettermen include sophomore forward William Wyatt, sophomore guard/forwa
rd Chris Ogden, sophomore guard Roosevelt Brown and senior guard Chris
McColpin.
But Barnes' ace in the hole is transfer guard Maurice Evans, a 6-5 junior
dynamo who practiced with the team last season after averaging 22.6 points a
game as a sophomore at Wichita State.
Evans has been very impressive in practice and he, like Mihm, has big-time
NBA potential. Barnes' offense is not as wide open as Wichita State's, but
look for Evans to average 16 or 17 points a game and be one of the team's big
guns, offensively and defensively, next season.
Barnes also has six recruits coming in, including heralded JC point guard
Freddie Williams, plus four national top 100 recruits in 6-9 forward Brian
Boddicker of Duncanville, 6-8 forward James Thomas of Hargrave Military
Academy in Chatham, Virginia, 6-5 swingman Brandon Mouton of Lafayette, La.,
and 6-10, 255-pound center
Jason Klotz of Houston Klein Forest.
Guard Lawrence Williams announced plans to transfer two weeks ago and Barnes
filled the scholarship by signing Royal Ivey, a 6-3, 175-pound guard from
Blair Academy, a prep school in Blairstown, N. J.
Joe Montegna, Ivey's coach at Blair, said the Longhorns picked up a real gem.
"He averaged 20 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists for us," Montegna said.
"He's a fine offensive player who is a true combo guard, but he's much better
on defense."
He's the best defensive player, by far, that I've ever coached, and I've
coached in the college ranks," Montegna said.