Subject: RE: What happened: tempdb xact log
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 06:30:00 -0800 (PST)

Darren,
Do you know if you were running pulling up the Path Manager for a date range 
around 10:51?; How do you normally pull up the Path Manager?; Please let me 
know as we're attempting to find out what caused this problem and if we 
should restrict access on the date range functionality.; If you were only 
pulling it for a day, that would be okay.
;
Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Mallary, William 
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 2:24 PM
To: Ripley, Brian
Cc: Schomer, Chris; Pena, Matt; Bharathi, Jaikishore; Ward, Bob
Subject: What happened: tempdb xact log

Brian, 
;
At 11:20am this morning, a stored procedure (source_dest_list_range_sp, Line 
#172) being run by Daren Farmer caused the tempdb transaction log on 
unifygasp to fill up.; This procedure is run routinely by many other users on 
a daily basis without incident.; At the time of the failure, this stored 
procedure had been running since 10:51am, or roughly 30 minutes.; I was 
notified via automatic page at 11:24am; the page indicating that there was 
200MB free.; I immediately checked tempdb, which was by full by this time.; 
Three attempts to clear the transaction log prior to 11:30am finally resulted 
in;a cleared transaction log.
;
Kishore noiced shortly thereafter that there was a problem in the way that 
Sybase was accounting for its free space, a condition which may have been 
crucial to the failure since nearly 5GB of space was apparently unavailable 
to the transaction log.; A reboot of unifyprod2 at 1:40pm cleared this 
condition.

Bill Mallary
*; [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
( ;713.345.3485 (office)
( ;281.960.7181 (cell)

;