Subject: Your Amazon.com order (#104-9670681-0325567)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 04:47:00 -0800 (PST)

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that we are having difficulty
completing your order.  This typically means we're experiencing a
delay in obtaining this item from our supplier, or in rare instances,
the item may have been too damaged for us to send.

   "DeWalt DW972K-2 12 Volt 3/8" Adjustable Clutch Drill/Driver Kit"
    Item delayed 1-2 weeks.
    We will proceed with your order for this item.

Since our policy is to charge for items at the time of shipment, you
have not been charged for this item at this time.  Any other items
you may have ordered that are already on hand will be shipping
separately, and your total shipping charges will not be affected.

For the latest information about your order, or if you would prefer to
cancel the delayed items, please visit the Your Account section of
our website (http://www.amazon.com/your-account).  You can also reach
Your Account by clicking on the link in the top right corner of any
page on our website.  Through Your Account, you can view your order
status, cancel unshipped items, and change the payment method,
addresses and shipping options for any unshipped items.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.com, and we hope to see you again!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection