Subject: UNIFY GASP Data Problems - process for correction
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:25:00 -0700 (PDT)

The affected data is the service-related "accounting" data generated when you 
run balancing.

For any service-related balancing you might have run since Thursday night, 
please run the Balancing process again for those pipes/dates.

You do NOT need to re-path anything, and you do NOT need to run Tracking 
again, only Balancing.  You can even change the Path Type to be "Service" 
instead of "Both"; this will help it run faster.

Sorry for the end-of-month problem, but the data loss was due to a data base 
problem beyond our control.  This was not part of the data base maintenance 
we had scheduled for this weekend (which was completed sucessfully).

Thanks, d.n.
---------------------- Forwarded by Dave Nommensen/HOU/ECT on 07/31/2000 
07:17 AM ---------------------------

Jim Ogg
07/31/2000 07:15 AM
To: Unify Gas User Group
cc: Jaikishore Bharathi/HOU/ECT@ECT, Douglas Cummins/HOU/ECT@ECT, Qing 
Wu/Corp/Enron@Enron, Jeff Johnson/Corp/Enron@Enron, Dave 
Nommensen/HOU/ECT@ECT, Kenneth M Harmon/HOU/ECT@ECT, Regan M 
Smith/HOU/ECT@ECT, Ramesh Rao/NA/Enron@Enron, Matt Pena/NA/Enron@Enron, Chris 
Schomer/Corp/Enron@ENRON 
Subject: UNIFY GASP Data Problems

We encountered some unrecoverable errors last night on the AALQ table.   All 
data from Friday, Saturday, and Sunday will need to be re-processed.  The 
recovery process is now complete and UNIFY GASP is once again available.  We 
apologize for the inconvenience.  Regards,

Jim O.

P.S.  If you received this email and are no longer involved with UNIFY, 
please contact the Notes Help Desk to be removed from this email group.