Subject: Document Retention
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 04:08:00 -0700 (PDT)

We are now addressing the distasteful task of sorting through the mountain of 
files accumulated during the Conoco litigation.  Kathy is taking the lead on 
reviewing our document retention policies and advising Britt and I of what 
she thinks we can destroy and what we need to keep.  In some instances, the 
appropriate approach is not entirely clear.  Have you folks run across any 
"document retention policy specialists" that she ought to talk to?  We have a 
fairly detailed policy applicable to "Interstate Law" (which I guess means 
GPG law--the policy document is fairly old) but I'm less clear on what 
authority or right Legal has to enforce the doc. retention policy as to other 
groups.  Rod Hayslett suggested during Conoco that it would be good if Legal 
followed up now and then and made sure that pack rats were following the 
policy.   His comment arose from a little situation in which we were served 
with requests for "3 year plans" and Rod was displeased  to learn that some 
folks had kept old plans from 10 years ago.  He (and I suspect all of us) 
would be happier if that didn't happen again.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. DF