Subject: P&D Facilitation Training - Preconference work
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

A MEMO FROM DICK AMABILE

Thanks for enrolling in the upcoming P&D Facilitation training.  In order to 
make the best use of our limited time at the meeting I am attaching a copy of 
the "draft" material which will appear on the Intranet Site regarding P&D 
(Participation & Dissent).   The intent is for you to review the material 
before the session to gain some insight into what P&D is all about.  This 
will save us the time of having to review this material at the session and 
allow us to focus specifically on facilitation skills for the P&D process.  
We apologize for the somewhat disjointed format.  At the moment it is the 
only complete draft that is available, albeit in pieces.  I suggest you start 
with the last one listed below P&D Site maps.ppt and then progress through 
them in order 1,2,3,4,5.

P&D  was develop as a response to three of the 5 core ETC (Now known as the 
Pulse) questions identified by Enron for improvement. They are: 

  Most employees feel free to voice their opinions openly 
  My operating company does a good job acting on suggestions of employees
  Employees are encourage to challenge established 
procedures/policies/guidelines

Participation & Dissent know as "P&D" is an unique Enron created tool that is 
designed to provide our employees with a creative, free wheeling, 
non-bureaucratic vehicle for solving problems, addressing issues, enhancing 
decision making and developing new business ideas/opportunities.   One 
purpose of "P&D" is to create an atmosphere where employees can feel real 
ownership for decisions and express their views in a challenging and 
passionate way. "P&D" sessions are meant to focus on results and assist in 
producing measurable performance improvements.  "P&D" sessions are to assist 
our employees in driving change in an organized, efficient and effective 
manner.  It will help us leverage off our own best practices to produce 
faster results that positively impact our return on invested capital. At 
Enron we give our employees the power to dissent and with that power comes 
the obligation to participate in providing solutions/ideas. 

If you have any questions about this material, please feel free to contact 
Kirk McDaniel or myself.  We will be happy to answer your questions and 
provide additional context for the effort.

The only other thing we would like you to do prior to attending the session 
is to identify a potential P&D intervention within your own organization.  
This will provide you with a "real" effort to begin planning for at the 
session and make the application of the ideas directly actionable for you.

We look forward to seeing you at the meeting.
            Dick Amabile