Subject: Re: Hour Ending 24 Bug
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:56:00 -0800 (PST)

After re-creating an entire day's process, I finally figured out it was the 
Schedule Crawler causing the problem when downloading Finals for HE24.

The reason I could not re-create the problem before was that I tested with 
the latest code and not the Executable running in Production.

I've removed the "False Finals" from the Finals for 01/16 so this error 
should not cause any problems tomorrow morning.  

Please monitor Hour Ahead Finals for 01/17 tonight after the 01/16 HE24 
Finals are imported.  The "False Finals" should not appear.

I'm sorry for all of the confusion.  Thanks for you patience!

Pete

   

	From:  Bill Williams III                           01/10/2001 10:23 AM

To: Pete Davis/HOU/ECT@ECT
cc:  
Subject: Re: Hour Ending 24 Bug  

Pete,

Primarily it seems like if we submit an HA 24 schedule than the false finals 
show up.  But I believe we will just have to document closely when the finals 
carry over, as I have noticed them after I create a new customer id in a load 
zone but before I submit an HA 24 final.  SO...I guess I do not have an 
accurate answer.  I will try to get you as much information as I can, through 
talking with the group.

Thanks for your attention.

Bill