Subject: EOTT FUTURE STRATEGY
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:37:00 -0800 (PST)

SENT ON BEHALF OF MIKE BURKE

With your input, I developed the following documents (attached below) about 
six months ago.

EOTT Guiding Documents

EOTT Energy Strategies

EOTT Core Competencies & Company Strengths

With your continued help, what we now must do is to sharpen and focus our 
strategy and decide what we will select as the critical few core competencies 
of EOTT.  (Trying to be all these thing to everybody id tantamount to being 
nothing for anyone)  We must find the unique value that we alone can and will 
deliver to our chosen market.

As outlined in Michael Tracy's "The Discipline of Market Leaders," our task 
is to define and develop three essential concepts.
1.  The value proposition:  The implicit promise EOTT will make to customers 
to deliver a particular combination of values, price, quality, performance, 
solution, convenience, etc.

2.  The Value driven operations model:  The right combination of operating 
processes, management systems, business structure, and culture that gives 
EOTT the capacity to deliver on its value proposition.

3.  Value discipline:  EOTT must choose one of the three value disciplines 
below on which to stake our market reputation.

Operational Excellence:  (Middle of the market products/services at the best 
price with the least inconvenience) or 
Product/Service/Leadership (the very best performance in product/service) or 
Customer Intimacy (selectively chosen customers/best solution for unique 
customer/customer intimacy)

I will provide the first draft of a much more focused and disciplined 
strategy in the next few days.  Your input is always welcome.