Subject: Pipeline Reauthorization Bill
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 06:08:00 -0700 (PDT)

Stan,
It seems that the gas pipeline industry and the liquid  industry may
not agree on an approach to the pipeline safety reauthorization bill and a 
rule
making that is being issued concerning pipeline integrity testing. We admit 
that
the liquid industry is "under the gun" to some degree due to the tragic 
incident
at Bellingham last year, and that there is some spillover to the gas side as a
result. However, we think that it is in our interest and the time is right for
us to get something done in this Congress and that we need to "be for 
something"
that is workable and will also pass.  So we're not for a bill at all costs, 
but
we are willing to work with Rich Felder and the others at OPS to get to
something we can live with. The integrity rule making will only apply to 
liquids
in the first phase and we think we should not oppose this attempt.
We have heard that INGAA may try to kill the reauthorization bill; I don't 
know
if that's true or not, but AOPL is urging them not to panic and see what can 
be
worked out. I'll give you a call later next week to tell you exactly where we
are after I talk to Ben Cooper, Executive Director of AOPL in Washington.