Subject: Navajo ROW costs
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:20:55 -0700 (PDT)

I got a call back from Ed Peck over the weekend.  He said that he didn't
know where the BLM guy got his numbers, but that $1MM/mile for ROW would be
extremely steep.  He said that he has heard about the rumored price Kinder
Morgan Sonoran might have to pay, said it was pretty astronomical, but not
near that expensive.  We still haven't spoken directly to eachother (just
voice mail).  He said that he was down meeting with "Octar?" last week and
will be meeting with "Octar" again Tuesday 9/25 in Gallup.  He acted as
though most anyone I'm speaking with at Transwestern should know who "Octar"
is.  I have another call back into him - is there anything specific you
would like me to ask him?  He said that most folks at Transwestern should
have a pretty good idea of what ROW costs should be on Navajo. Ed just
called.  He said that Octar is the Navajo Director of Minerals and that Ed,
Louis Soldano, and Johnny McGee just finished negotiating the renewal of the
twin mainlines and the San Juan Lateral through 2009 with Octar - it was
$30MM.  He said that they brought up the possibility of a new line with
Octar, and that he thought it would be something similar for the new line.
Scott

Scott J. Patti
Senior Project Manager
ENSR International
1601 Prospect Parkway
Fort Collins, CO  80525
Phone: (970) 493-8878
Fax:     (970) 493-0213
Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Patti, Scott 
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 5:28 PM
To: Schmidt, Jon; 'Shafer, John'
Subject: RE: Agencies and NGOs already contacted for Sun Devil

I have absolutely no question in my mind that Ed will be able to give us a
real good idea what ROW would cost on the Navajo Nation.  I have a call into
him right now.

Scott J. Patti
Senior Project Manager
ENSR International
1601 Prospect Parkway
Fort Collins, CO  80525
Phone: (970) 493-8878
Fax:     (970) 493-0213
Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Schmidt, Jon 
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 5:07 PM
To: 'Shafer, John'
Cc: Patti, Scott
Subject: RE: Agencies and NGOs already contacted for Sun Devil

THat is ROW cost he quoted, Scott does our Navajo consultant have any
experience about what the tribe will ask for on the ROW ?  This cost is not
for cult. res. work.

As for schedule, if we go the informal collaborative approach, FERC won't
take a year from the time we file, but more like 7-8 months, thereby giving
them some more time on the back end.  But to do this requires getting land
permits in for federal easements, and yes, that does require some survey
detail.  j

-----Original Message-----
From: Shafer, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 1:41 PM
To: Schmidt, Jon
Cc: Patti, Scott
Subject: FW: Agencies and NGOs already contacted for Sun Devil
Importance: High

Jon,

See Doug Cebryk's note below.  Is the quote correct on the cost per mile
for Arche' work?   And even if that is the normal cost - that would be
paid for only those miles of ROW where Phase II and/or Phase III work
would be done???? Not the entire 400 miles?????  Help me here to
quantify!  John

-----Original Message-----
From: Cebryk, Doug 
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 11:13 AM
To: 'Patti, Scott'; Shafer, John; Hyatt, Kevin; Gadd, Eric
Cc: Schmidt, Jon; Taylor, Gina; Alstad, Jon; Gleffe, Larry; McGee,
Johnny
Subject: RE: Agencies and NGOs already contacted for Sun Devil

To All
I have done a cursory review of the requirements of the agencies
contacted, and 2 significant itmes leap out.

#1 New Mexico BLM Permitting - Cultural Resources
David Simmons - Archeologist - Farmington BLM office quoted " Navajo ROW
costs usually approximately $1MM/mile". THIS COULD MAKE AN UNECONOMICAL
PROJECT FROM DAY 1

#2 Longest permit times are 1 year, which means that with a tentative
schedule as follows:
FERC Filing - Sept/01 to March 30/02
FERC Approval - April 1/02 - April 1/03 - 1 year
Construction - April 1/03 - Jan 1/04 - 9 mos 

In order to start construction by April 1/03 to achieve an in service in
early 2004, application for specific long lead permits will need to be
made April 1/02. This will require significant field work and design
details prior to April 1/02. I doubt we will be ready to commit to such
an undertaking this early in the process.

I suggest after the ENSR fatal flaw analysis is complete, a very
comprehensive review of all permits and their relation to the critical
path is undertaken.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patti, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 8:54 AM
To: Shafer, John; Hyatt, Kevin; Gadd, Eric
Cc: Schmidt, Jon; Taylor, Gina; Cebryk, Doug; Alstad, Jon
Subject: Agencies and NGOs already contacted for Sun Devil

US EPA, Regions VI and IX
US Forest Service - Coconino, Kaibab, and Prescott Forests
BLM - NM State Office, Farmington Field Office, AZ State Office, Phoenix
Field Office
US DOT
US Army Corps of Engineers - LA District and NM District
Navajo Nation - Mineral Department, 
Arizona Game and Fish Department
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality
Arizona Department of Water Resources
Arizona Department of Transportation
New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
New Mexico Forestry Division
New Mexico Energy, Mineral and Natural Resources Department
New Mexico Environment Department
New Mexico Office of the State Engineer
New Mexico State Highway and Transportation Department
Union Pacific Railroad
The Nature Conservancy

Attached are most of the telephone call summary sheets from these
conversations and summaries of permit requirements.  We also have most
of
the permit applications for any of the permits that we would be
obtaining
from these agencies.  I am currently working on the telephone call
summary
sheets for the Forest Service contacts.

Scott J. Patti
Senior Project Manager
ENSR International
1601 Prospect Parkway
Fort Collins, CO  80525
Phone: (970) 493-8878
Fax:     (970) 493-0213
Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Shafer, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 8:47 AM
To: Patti, Scott; Hyatt, Kevin; Gadd, Eric
Cc: Schmidt, Jon; Taylor, Gina; Cebryk, Doug
Subject: RE: Confidentiality of Sun Devil???

Yes, please forward a list to myself, Kevin and Eric.  Thanks, John

-----Original Message-----
From: Patti, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 4:49 PM
To: Shafer, John; Hyatt, Kevin; Gadd, Eric
Cc: Schmidt, Jon; Taylor, Gina; Cebryk, Doug
Subject: RE: Confidentiality of Sun Devil???

We have already been in contact primarily with most of the state and
Federal
level agencies that exist in both AZ and NM as well as the Navajo
agencies.
I could get you a complete list of agencies we've contacted if you'd
like,
but almost every agency that would or could issue a permit in both
states
has been contacted.  

Scott J. Patti
Senior Project Manager
ENSR International
1601 Prospect Parkway
Fort Collins, CO  80525
Phone: (970) 493-8878
Fax:     (970) 493-0213
Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Shafer, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 2:49 PM
To: Hyatt, Kevin; Gadd, Eric
Cc: Patti, Scott; Schmidt, Jon; Taylor, Gina; Cebryk, Doug
Subject: RE: Confidentiality of Sun Devil???

Scott,
Please furnish a list of who you will be talking with.  (Caveat: Scott,
you certainly realize that you must provide the FERC with summary notes
of meetings with groups, agencies, etc. when we make the FERC filing -
so keep good notes).  John

-----Original Message-----
From: Hyatt, Kevin 
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 1:44 PM
To: Shafer, John; Gadd, Eric
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; Taylor, Gina; Cebryk, Doug
Subject: RE: Confidentiality of Sun Devil???

I spoke with Eric this afternoon.  We'd like a list of who ENSR is
talking with.  We recognize the need to be as open as we can with
stakeholders and consultees and concur with John's comment below.  We're
comfortable with Scott being able to show regulators a map of the
preliminary route.

thanks
kh

-----Original Message-----
From: Shafer, John 
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 4:41 PM
To: Hyatt, Kevin; Gadd, Eric
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; Taylor, Gina; Cebryk, Doug
Subject: FW: Confidentiality of Sun Devil???

Kevin and Eric,
Please read Scott's question below.  I have no problem with being a
little more open with the regulators.  I would not publish anything in
the paper (as yet) showing a route, etc., etc. as that will only get the
landowners stirred up before we are ready.  What are your thoughts?  Are
you comfortable with Scott being able to show the regulators a map of a
preliminary route?  John

-----Original Message-----
From: Patti, Scott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 4:30 PM
To: Cebryk, Doug; Shafer, John; Campbell, Larry
Cc: Kendrick, William; Hyatt, Kevin; Schmidt, Jon; Alstad, Jon; Wade,
Alisa
Subject: Confidentiality of Sun Devil???

In discussions with several agency personnel, it "appears" as though
they
are somewhat aware of Sun Devil.  Is it still to be treated as
confidential,
or can we discuss it more freely?  The main benefit I see, if we can
discuss
it more freely, is that many of the regulators have said things like "I
would need to see a route to be able to answer your question better."
Let
me know.  Thanks,  Scott

Scott J. Patti
Senior Project Manager
ENSR International
1601 Prospect Parkway
Fort Collins, CO  80525
Phone: (970) 493-8878
Fax:     (970) 493-0213
Email:  [email-masked]

**********************************************************************
The information contained in this communication is confidential and 
privileged proprietary information intended only for the individual 
or entity to whom it is addressed.  Any unauthorized use, distribution,
copying or disclosure of this communication is prohibited.  
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the 
sender immediately.

It is our policy that e-mails are intended for and should be used for 
business purposes only.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by 
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

ENSR
www.ensr.com
[email-masked]
**********************************************************************

**********************************************************************
This e-mail is the property of Enron Corp. and/or its relevant affiliate
and
may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the
intended recipient (s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender or
reply
to Enron Corp. at [email-masked] and delete
all
copies of the message. This e-mail (and any attachments hereto) are not
intended to be an offer (or an acceptance) and do not create or evidence
a
binding and enforceable contract between Enron Corp. (or any of its
affiliates) and the intended recipient or any other party, and may not
be
relied on by anyone as the basis of a contract by estoppel or otherwise.
Thank you. 
**********************************************************************