Subject: Counterparties to be Reviewed
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:59:00 -0800 (PST)

Pls. find attached a list of Password Applications we've received for 
transaction access to EnronOnline.  As defined by our business process, we're 
allowed a MAXIMUM turnaround time of 3 days (including mailing the User ID's) 
upon receiving the PA.  Please keep in mind the sense of urgency regarding 
the approval process as the Product Control Group gets slammed with requests 
every day and it will be very difficult to meet our turnaround goals without 
urgent feedback from you guys.

Also, make sure to submit your feedback in a consolidated format and on the 
spreadsheet attached below  (only one feedback from each group at a time 
instead of multiple feedbacks from different people).  Mark clearly what type 
of access you are letting the customer have for each product on the matrix so 
that we may consolidate the information efficiently.  Dave Forster or I will 
be contacting the point people within each group (in the "To" Header for this 
message) periodically to ensure prompt feedback.  As the flow of new customer 
slows down, the PCG will take over this process once again.

Thanks for your prompt responses in advance.  You may call me with any 
questions at ext. 33206 or on my cell phone (011+44 777 556 8558).

Regards,
Rahil