Subject: FW: (01-348) NYMEX ACCESS Order Entry
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: legal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:53:47 -0800 (PST)

-----Original Message-----
From: 	Exchange Information <[email-masked]>@ENRON  
Sent:	Wednesday, October 31, 2001 9:50 AM
To:	Exchange Information
Subject:	(01-348) NYMEX ACCESS
 Order Entry

Notice No. 01-348
October 31, 2001

To:
All NYMEX Division Clearing Members
All NYMEX ACCESS
 Electronic Traders
All NYMEX Division Members

From:
J. Robert Collins, President

Re:
NYMEX ACCESS
 Order Entry

	NYMEX Rule 6.22, "Acceptance of Orders for Entry into NYMEX
ACCESS
," specifies the requirements for placement of orders into the
ACCESS
  system for all commodities (NYMEX and COMEX Divisions).  A copy of
the Rule is attached.  Section (C) of this Rule, "Acceptance of Orders From
Customers," specifically outlines the data necessary for input/placement of
orders, while Section (D), "Order Recordation," sets forth the procedures
for handling customer orders.

	All electronic traders are required to enter the correct account
number and clearing member number for all transactions with the exception of
multiple accounts.  NYMEX Rule 6.22(E), "Special Requirements," governs the
use of the "999" designation as it relates exclusively to multiple accounts.
Compliance Staff has additionally allowed for use of the "999" or common
holding account to be used on an "intra-session" basis for any account which
had not been set up prior to or during the ACCESS
 session in progress.  Use
of the "999" or common holding account may only be engaged on a one-time
basis for any account.  Thus, if "999" is designated three times in one
session related to three separate accounts for first time use of ACCESS
,
the "999" may never be subsequently designated for purposes of placing
orders for any of the three accounts.  Any misuse of the "999" or common
holding account would constitute a violation of Rule 6.22(C).

	The ACCESS
 System has enhanced functionality regarding the input
and storage of frequently used account numbers.  Electronic trading or
clearing member firms should contact the NYMEX Customer Service Center (the
"NCSC") with any questions at (800) 438-8616.

	Any questions regarding the rule requirements cited above should be
directed to Thomas LaSala, Vice President, Compliance, at (212) 299-2897, or
David Schneiderman, Director, Trade Practice Surveillance, at (212)
299-2857.

Rule 6.22. ACCEPTANCE OF ORDERS FOR ENTRY INTO NYMEX ACCESS

 (A) DEFINITIONS-for purposes of these Rules, the following words shall have
the following definitions:

(1) "Matching System"-The NYMEX ACCESS
 programs and database that accept,
match and report executions of orders in NYMEX ACCESS
.

(2) "Strategy Pad"-The NYMEX ACCESS
 programs and database that may be used
by Electronic Traders and NYMEX ACCESS
 Operators to store orders, trading
strategies and other information, but that do not accept, match or report
execution of orders into the Matching System.

(B) No Clearing Member shall assign an account number that would accept the
entry of orders into NYMEX ACCESS
 for, or on behalf of, a customer, unless
such customer is first provided with an Electronic Trading and Order Routing
Systems Disclosure Statement in a form approved by the Exchange.

(C) ACCEPTANCE OF ORDERS FROM CUSTOMERS-No person or entity may accept an
order for execution on NYMEX ACCESS
 unless the following information is
received:

(1)   Commodity;

(2) Contract Month;

(3) Purchase or Sale;

(4) Customer Account Number (or certification that the order is for multiple
accounts to be later allocated);

(5) Quantity;

(6) Limit Price (except for stop, market discretion, MIT or market orders);

(7) Clearing Member (or certification that the order is for multiple
accounts to be later allocated);

(8) Strike prices, put or call (for options); and

(9) Any precondition for entry into the Matching System (i.e., stop, market
discretion, MIT, stop limit).

(D) ORDER RECORDATION-Immediately upon receipt, all customer orders for
execution on NYMEX ACCESS
 must be (1) entered into the Matching System or
Strategy Pad or, if such orders cannot be entered into the Matching System
or Strategy Pad within one minute of receipt, they must be (2) recorded
within one minute of receipt in non-erasable ink and time-stamped in
accordance with Rule 6.18, and entered into the Matching System or Strategy
Pad as soon as practicable.

(E) SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS

(1)   For any order known to be an order for multiple accounts to be
allocated after execution, the Electronic Trader's Account Number followed
by the suffix "999" shall be entered in satisfaction of subsection (B)(4) of
this Rule.  Only a person with trading discretion over multiple accounts may
place an order with a Member Firm, Electronic Trader or NYMEX ACCESS

Operator to be allocated after execution. No Member Firm, Electronic Trader
or NYMEX ACCESS
 Operator may accept an order for allocation after execution
unless the Member Firm, Electronic Trader or NYMEX ACCESS
 Operator or their
employer has on file a prior, written procedure for the systematic and
non-preferential allocation of executions among accounts. The customer's
actual Clearing Member and Customer Account Number must be provided no later
than 8:30 a.m. following the NYMEX ACCESS
 trading session in which the
transaction was executed.

(2) No person may knowingly record false account number information in
connection with any NYMEX ACCESS
 order.

(3) Unless otherwise agreed, all orders received for execution on NYMEX
ACCESS
 shall be deemed to be cancelled if not executed during the trading
session for which they were received.