Subject: Tax Review of California Assembly Bill No. 128
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 08:01:00 -0700 (PDT)

Attached please find a Tax Review of California Assembly Bill No. 128 ("AB 
128X").  The Tax Review sets out the practical implication (increased cost to 
purchasers) and constitutional deficiencies of AB 128X.

The third paragraph of the Tax Review details the mathematical computation of 
the tax and the resulting purchaser price increase.  The computation sales 
price, $300/MWh, reflects the SP15 (Southern California) weighted average 
index price ($302.88), rounded to the nearest hundred, as reported in 
Megawatt Daily's May 8th MarketReport.  However, it may be more effective to 
present the mathematical computation with a price closer to the proposed base 
price of $60/MWh.  We are available to assist in presenting the computation 
utilizing whichever numbers you deem appropriate.

The California Senate has passed SB 1X, Windfall Profits Tax on Electric 
Generators.  We will forward a similar memorandum addressing SB 1X.

We are available to address questions and/or comments.  Thanks.

Ed Coats - 713.853.6369
Steve Douglas - 713.853.0938 
Gavin Russo - 713.853.6296
Matt Gockerman - 713.853.3979