Subject: Re: Foreign country advocacy
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:40:00 -0700 (PDT)

Jane,
Since our meeting with you and Steve on Enron's worldwide view I have been 
working on a document that pretends to be a starter kit on how to go about 
changing the electric industry around the world.  The main idea is that there 
is no standard recipe.  What I think is that we have to go to the policy 
makers and try to convince them about change towards competitive electric 
markets.  Then we can help them think through about the benefits of change 
and the opportunity costs of not changing.  After that we would try to 
understand, together with them (and they should know more), the difficulties 
or challenges to achieve a vision of the electric inductry (that we should 
try to develop with them).  Then we would help them design a strategy for 
change and with implementation.  I am convinced that the closer we work and 
the more we know about what is going on the better.  

The document finally addresses specific issues and presents some discussion 
points related to those isues as well as possible solutions.  

You will recognize big chunks of this document as it builds upon your 
Electric Continuum and on Mark Shroeder's group Competitive Electric Markets, 
Key Factor For Success.

Opinions and suggestions are welcome and in fact the last part is something 
that should grow over time.  In fact I have suggested that different people 
develop on some of the issues.

I am attaching a copy of such document for your kind review and comments. It 
has already been reviewed by Jim Steffes, Rick Shapiro and Margaret Carson.

Best regards,

Ricardo