Subject: message/request for Ken Lay
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:02:00 -0800 (PST)

Rosalee - would you please forward this request to Ken.  If he has some time 
over the coming week or so to discuss by phone, I would also appreciate that 
opportunity.  

Ken - Though a mutual acquaintance, my CV has been provided to Bob Zoellick, 
in the hope and expectation that he might become USTR, and with an interest 
on my part in being nominated to be one of his deputies.  I am writing to 
seek any support and assistance you feel comfortable in providing in this 
effort.  I attach a copy of my CV below.  I would particularly call attention 
to the fact that I served in the Department of Energy as a Deputy General 
Counsel in the administration of the first President Bush.  While I obviously 
could not contribute much time to the campaign given my current assignment 
within Enron, I did contribute financially.  My wife and I gave $2,000 to the 
campaign to fund the primary effort, $2,000 for the General Election, and 
another $2,000 to the Compliance Fund.  I also wrote letters seeking funds 
(using your fund-raising number), and while I do not think the response rate 
was high, I do know that at least some of the people I wrote to did 
contribute.

I have discussed this interest in the Deputy USTR role only with Steve Kean 
and Richard Shapiro within Enron.  I expect that if Bob is nominated in the 
next few weeks, that I will be making a trip to Washington to meet with him, 
as part a trip associated with some other US business.  (And if Bob is not 
the USTR, I will, of course, remain interested in the role.)  When it is 
convenient, I would be pleased to discuss this further with you.  Enjoy your 
holidays.  Mark