Subject: Re: Translation - Nikkan Kogyo 5/21 (Enron Mentioned)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:28:00 -0700 (PDT)

I think we need to keep the pressure on.  I liked the way our basic message 
was evolving over the course of last week.  As you pointed out, the Japanese 
utilities view us as just another annoying US company who is going to come 
in, bang its head against the wall for a few months and then leave.  We need 
to continue to reinforce the message that not only are we not going away, we 
are starting other businesses here to keep us going while we continue to 
agitate for reform in the electricity sector.

Nicholas O'Day
05/21/2001 04:37 AM
To: Mark Palmer/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Jackie Gentle/LON/ECT@ECT, Vance 
Meyer/NA/Enron@ENRON
cc: Steven J Kean/NA/Enron@Enron, John Sherriff/LON/ECT@ECT, Mika 
Watanabe/AP/Enron@Enron 

Subject: Translation - Nikkan Kogyo 5/21 (Enron Mentioned)

To date, reports on Enron's role in California have been limited to a reprint 
of a Sacramento Bee article appearing in the Denki Shimbun - a limited 
circulation publication sponsored by the Japanese utilities. Last Friday Mr 
Ohta, President of Chubu Electric and Chairman of the Federation of Electric 
Power Companies, made some uninformed comments at a regular energy press club 
briefing about Enron's commitment to its Californian customers . Ohta will be 
retiring from both positions in two weeks. 

In the past both Chubu Electric and the Federation of Electric Power 
Companies have distanced themselves from Mr Ohta's public comments which are 
generally considered to be ultra conservative and unsupported by facts. As a 
result, we have tended to ignore his comments. However, on this occasion I 
think we need to set the record straight on Enron's role in California. I 
would welcome your thoughts on whether we should let the comments pass or 
respond.

Over the past few months we have received various statements from Houston 
(for both internal and external consumption) explaining Enron's role in 
California. Most recently (May 10) we received from Peggy Mahoney (via Vance) 
an EES statement dated 1 February entitled "Media Statement about EES 
Resourcing California Customers". It would be helpful if there is a 
comprehensive statement that has recently been put together that we could 
distribute here. If not, we can put something together here tomorrow and 
email it across to you for approval, with the aim of getting something out 
Wednesday.

As an aside, we had a record 3,766 visitors to the EJ website last Friday, 
the day the Brattle paper appeared on the website.

kind regards        
---------------------- Forwarded by Nicholas O'Day/AP/Enron on 05/21/2001 
05:38 PM ---------------------------

Tom Fitzgibbon
05/21/2001 04:15 PM
To: "Michael.Grimes" <[email-masked]>, "Nicholas.O'Day" 
<[email-masked]>, "makiko.imai" <[email-masked]>, 
"Rousseau.Anai" <[email-masked]>, "Mika.Watanabe" 
<[email-masked]>, "Jeremy.Thirsk" <[email-masked]>, 
"Morten.E.Pettersen" <[email-masked]>, "Joseph.P.Hirl" 
<[email-masked]>, "Jonathan.Whitehead" 
<[email-masked]>, "eva.hoeffelman" <[email-masked]>, 
Carey Sloan <[email-masked]>, "stefan.niesler" 
<[email-masked]>, "Akiko.Higaki" <[email-masked]>, 
"katy.lomax" <[email-masked]>, "brian.stanley" 
<[email-masked]>, "andy.foote" <[email-masked]>, "ed.cattigan" 
<[email-masked]>, "tom.fitzgibbon" <[email-masked]>, skean 
<[email-masked]>, "mark.palmer" <[email-masked]>, "vance.meyer" 
<[email-masked]>, "karen.denne" <[email-masked]>, 
"Ann.M.Schmidt" <[email-masked]>, "jackie.gentle" 
<[email-masked]>
cc:  

Subject: Translation - Nikkan Kogyo 5/21 (Enron Mentioned)

Please find attached translation of the article "Scathing Comment at Press 
Conference by Hiroji Ota, Chairman of The Federation of Electric Power 
Companies of Japan Thumbs-Up for Bush,s New Policy, and Thumbs-Down for Enron,
s Proposals" from Nikkan Kogyo Shinbum
dated May 21.