Subject: WH Climate Change Task Force
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

To: Mike Terraso
 
cc: Jeff Keeler
 Steve Kean
Linda Robertson
 Catherine McKalip-Thompson

From:   Lisa Jacobson

Re: White House Climate Change Task Force

Date:   April 16, 2001

Per your request, here is some preliminary information on the 
Administration's climate change task force.  First, there is a White House 
climate change task force and it has met at least twice already.  It is 
coordinated by the Domestic Policy Council and the National Economic 
Council.  Emphasis during the first meetings has been on procedure, education 
and review of the key issues.

The task force facilitates the Administration,s ongoing "cabinet level 
review" on climate change policy.  They are aiming for as high a level of 
participation as possible, but acting and deputy assistant secretaries have 
also been attending.  White House staff is being very tight-lipped about the 
task force discussions due to political sensitivities and fears of media 
leaks.  
 
The task force will solicit input from outside stakeholders (scientists, 
industry and environmental groups), but as I understand it, participation on 
the task force is limited to government officials.  

The task force is set to meet frequently - possibly weekly - over the next 
six weeks.  I have heard different descriptions of its objectives.  Some have 
said its goal is to develop broad principles, procedures and a strategy in 
preparation for the resumed international negotiations in Bonn, Germany this 
July (COP-6 II).  Others suggest that the White House intends to release a 
specific proposal on climate change, with domestic and international 
components, as early as next month.  

On the domestic front, Enron has been providing input to the Administration 
on our creative ideas for a multi-pollutant air emissions strategy for the 
power generation sector.  We have been invited to provide input on 
international proposals, with a preferred timeline of this week.

At this stage, each task force meeting is dedicated to covering a different 
topic (i.e., science, economic impacts, role of technology, etc.).  The 
meetings tend to have an educational angle, as many participants are not 
familiar with these specific and technical issues.  The task force has likely 
not yet delved into analysis of the market-based mechanisms (emissions 
trading or project-based options to reduce greenhouse gas emissions) or other 
issues related to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate 
Change/Kyoto Protocol negotiations.

Enron has an excellent relationship with John Howard, the task force 
coordinator from the Domestic Policy Council.  Jeff and I plan to meet with 
Bob McNally, the National Economic Council coordinator, tomorrow. 

Jeff and I also would like to talk with you about strategy and 
recommendations for the White House on international proposals.  It would be 
valuable for Enron to weigh in supporting:

? Action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions even in the absence of scientific 
certainty on climate change
? Continued U.S. engagement in international efforts to reduce greenhouse gas 
emissions 
? Flexibility for industry to meet emission reduction goals
? Market-based approaches to reduce greenhouse gas emissions - like emissions 
trading - that allow reductions to occur at lower costs to consumers, 
governments and businesses 
? Cooperation with developing countries to ensure their participation in any 
treaty to reduce greenhouse gas emissions - however, developed countries 
should be encouraged to take action now and work towards solutions

These bullets are consistent with Enron,s current position statement.  

I will work to confirm whether the task force has non-government members and 
how industry and, more specifically, Ken Lay and Enron could participate and 
provide input.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Lisa Jacobson
Enron
Manager, Environmental Strategies
1775 Eye Street, NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: +(202) 466-9176
Fax: +(202) 331-4717