Subject: UPDATE: Commerce Staff Proposal/Bliley Certification Replacement and Technical Corrections
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

This is the amendment offered per the House Commerce Committee's request in 
order to allow  "a more sufficient state role."  This was drafted per 
sign-off from our conference call with Steve Kean, Joe Hartsoe and Dan 
Watkiss yesterday plus drafted with the buy-in from numerous attorneys 
representing various stakeholders with NARUC being the essential 
participant.  The staff and stakeholders meet again early Monday morning to 
determine if this agreement is sufficient to meet the needs of Congressman 
Barton so we can proceed to mark-up.  If this proves the case, we will need 
to immediately also lobby the other provisions which need amendment, but have 
been held at bay until the transmission language loggerhead we created is 
removed.  The plan would be to determine on Monday the "go" vs. "no go" to 
full Commerce Committee mark-up.  With an affirmative decision, the mark-up 
would proceed at round-the-clock, record pace with conclusion completed by 
Thursday, July 27th.  We will continue to advise you of the status.

As an aside, with Congressman Largent comparing this effort to a "Hail Mary" 
pass; he said this with optimism.  And for you football fans, with the 
Congressman having been one of the best receivers in the country; our odds 
are better than they would have been otherwise.  Perhaps this is like 
numerous state efforts before which were pronounced "dead" but resurrected 
for enactment at the final hour.

With the comprehensive bill activity, the stand-alone reliability bill 
viability will not be considered until September, if at all.  This bill's 
Savings Clause "new" agreement failure also makes bill movement problematic 
as does the agreement we achieved from all the Stakeholders to share our 
position to block its movement.  We have drafted a letter to the Speaker 
which is waiting in the wings (to be singed by numerous groups) should it 
become necessary.
---------------------- Forwarded by Cynthia Sandherr/Corp/Enron on 07/21/2000 
11:28 AM ---------------------------

Cynthia Sandherr
07/21/2000 11:15 AM

To: [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]
cc:  

Subject: Commerce Staff Proposal/Bliley Certification Replacement and 
Technical Corrections

Here's the amendment the group of attorneys in the room drafted after 
yesterday's meeting and discussion.  They have all signed-off on it.  
---------------------- Forwarded by Cynthia Sandherr/Corp/Enron on 07/21/2000 
11:19 AM ---------------------------

"Jeffrey Watkiss" <[email-masked]> on 07/21/2000 11:10:19 AM
To: <[email-masked]>
cc:  

Subject: Bliley Certification Replacement and Technical Corrections

is attached.  I got an E-Mail from Chuck Gray last night in which Chuck told 
me that NARUC still prefers Barton over Largent, but that he does not oppose 
this amendment in itself. 
 - 0127103.01