Subject: Re: retail competition in electricity
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 04:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

Folks:

My apologies in advance if I vent somewhat.  

Briefly, some of you know that I attended Berkeley's Policy School.  I have 
been very closely involved with the conference Severin describes in his note 
to Littlechild.  I have been working to try to establish a joint venture 
between the policy and business schools at Berkeley to hold an "energy 
summit," where national and international energy leaders would converge on 
California (under the auspices of UC Berkeley) to talk energy policy.  Jim 
Steffes has helped a lot in brainstorming the idea.  In short,, our goal was 
to have a group of prominent folks squarely refute the extremely retrograde 
notions of "turn the clock back" that the Governor of California's two most 
recent appointees have been articulating at every opportunity over the past 
several months, and re-seize the agenda in California. The "energy heads of 
state" at the summit would come up with solutions for going forward.

The concept (and invitees) that Severin describes is loosely based on 
proposals I have made to the "steering committee."  However, for reasons I 
won't bore you with in this note, the effort has frankly turned into a 
fiasco.  I notified the group this week that Enron would not be 
participating, that they should go forward with the conference without us, 
and that I would help somewhat (contacts, etc.) when (and if) they ever came 
to agreement on the agenda and particpants.  From my perspective, the effort 
turned out to be a rather big disappointment.  I urge us not to get involved 
or contribute $$s.  At this juncture I would recommend against having Ken Lay 
participate.  Depending on how the thing shapes up, we may  or may not want 
to have someone at a substantially lower level participate, but I'm 
pessimistic at this point.  If anyone would like to discuss my reasons in 
more detail, I'd be happy to discuss.

I still think the idea of an energy summit is very promising.  But the forum 
that these folks are creating ain't the right one.

Best,
Jeff

Mark Schroeder@ECT
09/08/2000 04:09 AM
To: Steven J Kean/NA/Enron@Enron, Richard Shapiro/HOU/EES@EES, Susan J 
Mara/SFO/EES@EES, Jeff Dasovich/SFO/EES@EES
cc: Kyran Hanks/LON/ECT@ECT 
Subject: retail competition in electricity

Please see Professor Littlechild's note to our former Deputy Chairman for 
Enron Europe, Ralph Hodge.  Ralph is no longer with us.  Let me know if you 
would like to support ($$) Littlechild coming to California.  He was a 
somewhat passive regulator (too academic), but is a credible authority, 
having written what is regarded as one of the seminal works on incentive 
regulation, which is the model in use in the UK.   He likes Enron, and has 
been trying to get us to pay him for some work for some time.  No need for it 
here in the UK, but I would use him in emerging markets given the 
opportunity.  Let me have your thoughts at your earliest convenience.  
thanks  mcs 
---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Schroeder/LON/ECT on 08/09/2000 
10:08 ---------------------------
   
	Enron Capital & Trade Resources Corp.
	
	From:  "Stephen Littlechild" <[email-masked]>           
                08/09/2000 10:00

To: "Ralph Hodge" <[email-masked]>
cc: "Mark Schroeder" <[email-masked]>, "Kyran Hanks" 
<[email-masked]> 

Subject: retail competition in electricity

Dear Ralph
?
I have just written a?paper on retail  competition in electricity, arguing 
that Joskow, Hogan and Ruff, and California,  have got it all wrong, both in 
theory and in practice.? It is forthcoming  shortly in the DAE and Judge 
Institute working paper  series at Cambridge, but I thought you might like to 
see a copy now  (attached).
?
This is obviously a hot issue in California at  present, and this morning I 
received an invitation to  participate?in a debate there in November  (copy 
forwarded separately). It seems that Enron is also to be invited. I have  no 
other commitments in the US at that time.? Is is something that Enron  might 
be interested in supporting, or for that matter developing  further?
?
We spoke some time ago about the Common Carriage  Consultative Working Group 
at Ofwat. I did in fact aprticipate in that, along  with Kyran Hanks. It was 
a real eye-opener, to see how little awareness there  was of the basic 
conditions conducive to competition, like separate businesses  and accounts.? 
I'm not sure whether Enron is pursuing this now or not. No  doubt lots of 
other things going on.
?
I should be interested to hear from you on retail  competition.? I am copying 
this to Mark Schroeder and Kyran.
?
With regards
?
Stephen
 - Summary 22Aug2000.doc
 - Why we need electricity retailers 22Aug00.doc