Subject: [Fwd: Direct Access Coalition Media Plan]
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 05:52:00 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded by Sandra McCubbin/NA/Enron on 03/02/2001 11:56 AM -----

	Scott Govenar <[email-masked]>
	03/01/2001 05:17 PM
		 
		 To: Karen Denne <[email-masked]>
		 cc: Sandra McCubbin <[email-masked]>
		 Subject: [Fwd: Direct Access Coalition Media Plan]

Karen,

I just wanted you to be aware of Edelman's activities on direct access.

Scott

Received: (qmail 77871 invoked by uid 41); 28 Feb 2001 04:07:03 -0000
Received: from nycxims1.edelman.com (63.96.56.110)  by mx7.quiknet.com with 
SMTP; 28 Feb 2001 04:07:03 -0000
Received: by nycxims1.edelman.com with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19) id 
<FY7A0FGF>; Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:46:37 -0500
Message-ID: <F1011D165600D411AC5400D0B720EE10A621F8@SFOXMB1>
From: "Fairchild, Tracy" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked],  
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],  
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
[email-masked], "DiMare, Dominic"  
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],  
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],  
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],  
[email-masked], "Fairchild, Tracy"  
<[email-masked]>, "Allen, Stevan"  <[email-masked]>, 
"Beiser, Megan" <[email-masked]>,  "Manuel, Erica" 
<[email-masked]>, "Warner, Jami"  <[email-masked]>
Subject: Direct Access Coalition Media Plan
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:46:28 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; 
boundary="----_=_NextPart_000_01C0A139.07D39B10"
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000

Hello to the Direct Access Coalition:

Below you will find a summary of the press strategy that Edelman Public
Relations intends to employ over the coming weeks in collaboration with the
Alliance for Retail Energy Markets and the broader Direct Access Coalition.
I will also outline the information that I need from Direct Access Coalition
members who are willing to be involved in media outreach and interviews.
And finally, I have attached supporting documents that you can use as
background material to prep for your responses to any media inquiries that
you may receive.

This Week

1.   We are drafting a "pitch letter" to send out by the end of this week
via blast e-mail and fax to the following media lists: 1)capitol press corps
reporters; 2) mainstream media reporters working the energy crisis; and 3)
trade media.  We may also outreach to our editorial board list as well.  Our
pitch will be focused on what it will really mean for small business and C&I
customers to lose the option of retail choice at a time when they are
suffering the financial hardships of skyrocketing energy bills. We will
address the effect on California's future business climate if direct access
is not preserved through legislation that corrects the problems that AB1x
caused for retail choice.  And finally, we will address the point that no
matter what direction California ultimately takes, direct access must be a
part of the solution.  Reporters have seen the recent polls which illustrate
California businesses' concerns with the path the state is on so this is a
prime opportunity to build on those recent media stories.

2.    We recommend a conference call with AReM and the Direct Access
Coalition on Friday to address the questions and suggestions on the press
strategy outlined here.

3.     Determine which people in the Direct Access Coalition are willing to
take media calls on behalf of the coalition.

Next Week

1.   Follow up with key reporters who received the pitch letter.

2.   Evaluate the language of SB 27x and determine whether there will be an
opportunity to hold a news conference with Sen. Bowen in the near future.
Monitor movement at the PUC and determine whether a press conference may be
effective in this arena, or whether we may need to use the option of sending
a media alert before the March 7 hearing, followed by a news release after
the hearing.

3.   Place op-eds (opinion pieces) with key newspapers.

4.   Contact radio news shows and TV public affairs shows (i.e. California
Capitol Week and the California Report) to secure
media interviews.

5.    Revise the SB 27x fact sheet (attached) to reflect the realities of
the amended language in SB 27x.

 What We Need From You

1.  If you are willing to speak with the media, or you have
customers/clients with a positive direct access story to tell, please
respond to this email as soon as you can with your name and contact
information.

2.  If you have draft op-eds written that need to be placed with newspapers
on behalf of your association and the broader coalition, we are willing to
do this for the you.

3.  If you have colleagues and/or staff that are already working with the
media it would be helpful to have this information so that we can
collaborate as necessary.

The Documents Below
>  All documents are works in progress, so if you have suggestions on
> potential changes, please feel free to share them with us.
>

Thank you.

>  <<AREM Fact Sheet 2212001 ver 2272001.doc>>
>  <<Q&A @ ESP Reversions 22701.doc>>  <<AReM FAQ FINAL3.doc>>  <<AREM Fact
> FINAL3.doc>>
>
> Tracy Fairchild
> Account Supervisor
> Edelman Public Relations Worldwide
> (916) 442-2331
> [email-masked]
>

 - AREM Fact Sheet 2212001 ver 2272001.doc
 - Q&A @ ESP Reversions 22701.doc
 - AReM FAQ FINAL3.doc
 - AREM Fact FINAL3.doc