Subject: Re: Stopped anti-energy amendment!!!
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:34:00 -0700 (PDT)

Great job!

Chris Long@ENRON
07/27/2000 04:34 PM

To: [email-masked], Cynthia Sandherr/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Mark 
Taylor/HOU/ECT@ECT, Joe Hillings/Corp/Enron@ENRON, Richard 
Shapiro/HOU/EES@EES, Steven J Kean/HOU/EES@EES, Stephen D 
Burns/Corp/Enron@ENRON
cc:  
Subject: Stopped anti-energy amendment!!!

Today we were successful in killing an amendment that was offered by Rep. 
Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) in the House Banking Committee during its markup of 
the Commodities Future Modernization Act of 2000.  This amendment would have 
stricken language that provided an exclusion from CFTC jurisdiction for all 
non-agriculture transactions (energy, metals, broadband).  The amendment 
failed, largely due to pressure from Enron, by a vote of 20-12.  Rep. Ken 
Bensten (D-TX) joined Chairman Leach in speaking against the amendment.  

In more positive movement, yesterday the House Commerce Committee passed its 
version on the bill including a provision that exempts metal trading 
multilateral trading facilities from CFTC jurisdiction.

Congress goes into recess tomorrow and we will have a better sense on how the 
Rules Committee plans to reconcile differences between the versions of the 
bill later this week.  The Senate is still the unknown.

Call me at any question - Chris

---------------------- Forwarded by Chris Long/Corp/Enron on 07/27/2000 05:28 
PM ---------------------------

Chris Long
07/26/2000 06:32 PM

To: "Edgell, Bradley" <[email-masked]>
cc: Cynthia Sandherr/Corp/Enron@ENRON, [email-masked] 

Subject: RE: CEA Hearing tomorrow  

Bradley: 

We have learned that two amendments will be offered tomorrow my Rep. Maloney:

#1  - Strikes lines 15-25 from page 41 and the entire page 42 (these are the 
sections of HR 4541 as reported out of the Ag. Committee which address the 
exemption for all most non-agriculture commodities trade on an electronic 
facility.

#2  - Request a comprehensive study on the President's working group, DOE, 
and FERC.  

We strongly oppose amendment #1 which intends to more heavily regulate the 
energy derivatives industry.  Please have Rep. Bentsen voice his opposition 
to this amendment.  My guess is that amendment #2 should and will be ruled 
non-germane, however this is not a compromise we would support.  

Thanks - Chris 
                  (202) 466-9158

"Edgell, Bradley" <[email-masked]> on 07/26/2000 05:31:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
cc:  

Subject: RE: CEA Hearing tomorrow

Chris, I will look this over and get back to you.

> ----------
> From:  [email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:  Wednesday, July 26, 2000 5:21 PM
> To:  Edgell, Bradley
> Cc:  [email-masked]
> Subject:  CEA Hearing tomorrow
>
> <<File: CFTC.gov.doc>>
> Bradley:  The highlighted talking points could be used by Rep. Bentsen in
> response to an amendment focused on the energy derivative industry.
> Additional CFTC oversight is clearly not warranted, nor is a study needed.
> Call me with any questions at (202) 466-9158.
>
>
>
> (See attached file: CFTC.gov.doc)
>