Subject: Utilities, Electric: Deregulation: Byers fines will boost renewable energy
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 03:24:00 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded by Miyung Buster/ENRON_DEVELOPMENT on 10/09/2000 10:23 AM 
-----

	[email-masked]
	10/05/2000 08:12 PM
	Please respond to nobody
		 
		 To: [email-masked]
		 cc: 
		 Subject: Utilities, Electric: Deregulation: Byers fines will boost renewable 
energy

 
Byers fines will boost renewable energy 
TERRY MACALISTER AND PAUL BROWN 
? 
10/05/2000 
The Guardian 
Copyright (C) 2000 The Guardian; Source: World Reporter (TM) 

Electricity companies will face hefty fines for failing to meet environmental 
targets under proposals to be outlined today by the industry secretary, 
Stephen Byers.

He will delight the green lobby by ruling out waste incineration from his 
definition of "renewables" and by putting the emphasis on new forms of energy 
such as wind power. 

An early consultation docu ment suggested a "buyout" fee of 2p per 
kilowatt-hour for those who failed to buy 5% of their supplies from renewable 
sources by 2003 and 10% by 2010. Well-placed sources say Mr Byers has 
privately accepted the need to charge a "buyout" fee of 3p per kilowatt hour, 
which will anger the electricity companies but please the renewable industry.

"We anticipate this will kickstart our sector, lead to over pounds 5bn worth 
of capital investment and create thousands of jobs," said one executive from 
a renewable energy company.

Big companies such as National Wind Power, a division of Innogy (formerly 
National Power) and PowerGen Renewables will be among the beneficiaries.

Stephen Tindale, chief policy adviser to Greenpeace UK, said dropping 
incineration would put the government "back on the right trajectory after a 
series of disappointments". But the green lobby admits that further financial 
help might be needed and say electricity companies will pass on some of their 
extra costs to consumers.

The Department of Environment has had a target of 10% of electricity from 
renewables by 2010 for more than two years as part of the government's 
manifesto pledge to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 20% by the same date. 
But deregulation has forced the price of electricity down, helping gas-fired 
power stations but penalising the less competitive renewable sector. 

Folder Name: Utilities, Electric: Deregulation 
Relevance Score on Scale of 100: 95

______________________________________________________________________ 
To review or revise your folder, visit Dow Jones CustomClips or contact Dow 
Jones Customer  Service by e-mail at [email-masked] or by phone 
at 800-369-7466. (Outside the U.S. and  Canada, call 609-452-1511 or contact 
your local sales representative.) 
______________________________________________________________________ 
Copyright (c) 2000 Dow Jones &Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved