Subject: Project Stanley - Alberta Market Surveillance
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:11:00 -0700 (PDT)

The release of the Market Surveillance Administrator's  "status report" on 
the Alberta electricity market has been delayed until tomorrow morning.  I 
spoke to the Chairman of the Power Pool, Lorry Wilson, today about the Market 
Surveillance Administrator's report and he advised me:

i) the Report was not prompted by one or more MSA investigations;
ii) the Report is silent on the trading activities of any specific market 
participant;
iii) it will contain 10 recommendations focused on "how to improve the 
marketplace" and changes in rules/processes currently followed by the Power 
Pool, the Transmission Administrator, the Market Surveillance Administrator, 
and the Alberta Department of Resource Development.  
iv) the Report was prompted by concerns expressed by stakeholders that prices 
in the Alberta electricity market do not represent prices that are the 
product of a fair and efficient market;
v)  this Report will be the first in a new reporting process that will see 
the MSA release on a quarterly, and perhaps monthly, basis going forward.  It 
is more comprehensive than the future reports will be.  The Power Pool's 
preference was to start this process in January 2001 but given iii) they felt 
they had to release something sooner.

Lorry is aware of Project Stanley.  His comments to me during our discussion 
appeared to be intended to assure me that I need not be overly concerned with 
the report.  In fact, he indicated that he looks forward to discussing the 
contents and receiving Enron's input on the observations and recommendations 
in it.  

I will forward the report to you once it is released tomorrow.

Regards,

Rob