Subject: Re: Fwd:Ford chairman calls climate change world's #1 issue
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 02:05:00 -0700 (PDT)

Steve:

You might also want to take a look at the  UK Minister for Trade and
Industry's speech at the same conference- I already sent it to Mark
Schroeder.

?Regards,

Lauren

(See attached file: UK Environment speech.doc)

From: Steven J Kean@ENRON on 10/16/2000 09:25 PM

Sent by:  Steven J Kean@ENRON

To:   Michael Terraso/OTS/Enron@ENRON, Kelly Kimberly/Enron
      Communications@Enron Communications, Lauren Goldblatt/NY/ECT@ECT
cc:

Subject:  Fwd:Ford chairman calls climate change world's #1 issue

----- Forwarded by Steven J Kean/NA/Enron on 10/16/2000 09:25 PM -----

                    Cynthia
                    Sandherr            To:
                                        cc:
                    10/16/2000          Subject:
                    12:48 PM

Joe and Tom:  Either Bill Ford is a major Democrat or this signals a major
shift which serves as a strong indicator that Congress will face new
pressures next Congress to address Global Warming.  This is truly a
remarkable speech.

FORD PREDICTS END OF CAR POLLUTION
The Independent (UK)
6 October 2000

Internet:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/UK/Environment/2000-10/ford061000.shtml

The 100-year reign of the polluting internal combustion engine is coming to
an end, Bill Ford, chairman of the Ford Motor Company, said yesterday. It
will soon be replaced in motor vehicles by the hydrogen fuel cell, which
emits no pollution whatsoever and so can reduce the build-up of greenhouse
gases causing climate change, Mr. Ford, great-grandson of the company's
founder, Henry Ford, told the Greenpeace Business Conference in London.

In a remarkable speech from a motor manufacturer, in which he proclaimed
his
own environmental credentials, Mr. Ford, 43, accepted that the automobile
had
had a serious negative impact on the environment, and that his industry had
wrongly played down the threat from global warming.  And the head of the
world's second biggest car company raised eyebrows even further when he
said
that he could foresee the day when people would not want to own cars, but
merely have access to mobility.

Detroit-born Mr. Ford, who has been chairman since the start of last year,
proclaimed that climate change was the most challenging issue facing the
world and that anyone who disagreed was "in denial". Ford itself had moved
on
from that position, he said. But he felt the Kyoto protocol, the 1997 pact
in
which the industrialised nations agreed to try to limit their emission of
greenhouse gases, would not provide deep enough cuts to halt global
warming.
Only the marketplace, making new technology widely available, could tackle
the problem.

A fuel cell creates energy by an electrochemical process similar to that in
a
battery: it lets hydrogen and oxygen react together to produce electricity
and water vapour. It does not run down or need recharging, working as long
as
the hydrogen fuel is available, but most importantly, it does not produce
any
CO2, the basic by-product of any carbon-based fuel such as oil, gas or
coal.
Every major car company in the world is throwing huge sums into developing
the technology: Ford is spending $1bn (?690m) between now and 2004, while
Daimler-Chrysler, regarded as the leader in the field, has spent $700m. All
the main manufacturers have prototype fuel-cell cars running and there is a
race to bring them to market. Honda and Toyota expect to do so in 2003,
while
Ford and Daimler-Chrysler are aiming at 2004.

"I believe fuel cells will finally end the 100-year reign of the internal
combustion engine," Mr. Ford said, adding that the technology was "the holy
grail" of the motor industry. Prophesying the demise of car ownership, he
said:  "The day will come when the whole notion of car ownership is
antiquated," he said. Mr. Ford was reflecting advanced motor industry
thinking, which suggests many people might not want to pay for a car of
their
own if they could be guaranteed mobility on demand from a local hire
network.

 - UK Environment speech.doc