Subject: EHS Weekly Report
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:09:00 -0800 (PST)

ADMINISTRATIVE
 
EH&S Data  ) D. Willmann, David Ronkainen, and Sandra Maldonado developed 
charts for Mike Terraso comparing EHS performance in 1999 and 3 quarters 2000 
for the Caribbean, Latin America, and Southern Cone operations.  Data gaps 
and reasons were identified.  Mike reviewed data with Rebecca McDonald.

Enron EHS/Operations Audit - M. Terraso has met with Don Hawkins(Senior 
Director ETS audits) and Phil Lowry (MD ETS Operations) and Rebecca McDonald 
regarding the current and possible alternative approaches to the Corp portion 
of the Operations/EHS audit program.  Mike has developed and reviewed 
verbally initial suggested improvements to the current audit, action plan and 
implementation tracking process, including a greater corporate role.

Environmental Remediation Projects - D. Willmann and Scott Watson developed 
summary for Mike Terraso of environmental remediation projects within Enron's 
international operations.  Mike reviewed information with Rebecca McDonald.

Spanish Version of Enron,s Safety, Health and Environmental Guidelines ) 
Ramiro Garcia in conjunction with a consultant (Franco y Asociados) completed 
Draft of Spanish version of the Guidelines.   

Enron Corp. Safety Video Project Script  ) Scott Watson and Victor Colin shot 
video footage for general Enron office personnel orientation and contractor 
orientation videos on Dec. 7 & 8.  

CALME

Puerto Rico, San Juan Gas - D. Willmann met with Bill Middleton, EECC, and 
then by conference call with ThermoRetec personnel to review environmental 
and safety aspects of the proposed conversion of the San Juan Gas facility to 
operate on natural gas and the remediation work that is to be completed at 
the San Juan Gas site.

Dominican Republic,  SECLP - D. Willmann met with Jonathan Ago to review the 
environmental and safety perspectives of  the upcoming installation of a new 
boiler at the Smith / Enron facility in Dominican Republic.

SOUTH AMERICA

Venezuela, Ventane Visit - Henry Van and Edgar Zuleta visited Ventane 
facilities in Venezuela and gave workshops on EHS management system 
optimization.  

OEC / NORTH AMERICA

Medical Surveillance & Wellness Program ) Scott Watson met on 12/14/00 with 
Dr. Holland and Mary Ann Roman De Meza to complete the Wellness section of 
the Medical Surveillance Program.

Garden State Paper ) Scott Watson and Gus Eghneim conducted an EH&S Audit of 
this facility in Garfield, New Jersey on 12/12/00. 

+2000 Peaker Facilities (Lincoln Center, Gleason & Wheatland) ) Scott Watson 
provided responses and pertinent information to Ross Newlin regarding 
Safety/Health training issues at these facilities for Allegheny Power. 

Semiannual Reports for Caledonia and New Albany ) Ramiro Garcia completed and 
submitted to the state revisions to the semiannual environmental reports for 
the first part of 2000.  Revisions included more detailed information (i.e., 
reasons) for each period of excess emissions.

REGULATORY TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

Texas Upset and Notification Environmental Notice - Marc Phillips distributed 
an Environmental Notice to ETS personnel regarding the revisions to the Texas 
upset and maintenance notification rules which are applicable to compressor 
stations.

TNRCC Stakeholders Meeting - Marc Phillips attended a TNRCC stakeholders 
meeting regarding draft revisions to a rule that would define maintenance and 
also restrict the use of a general permit often used by ETS personnel to 
authorize methane emissions from pipeline maintenance.

Sustainable Development Meeting - Marc Phillips represented Enron at the 
Winter 2000 meeting of the Business Council for Sustainable Development -Gulf 
of Mexico.

NPDES Multi-Sector General Permit --  Jim Peterson distributed an information 
email on the EPA reissuance of the NPDES multi-sector general permit for 
storm water discharges associated with industrial activities to Enron 
environmental personnel in affected states.

DOT Amendments to Hours of Service (HOS) Regulations - Russell Tucker, with 
assistance from Jeff Keeler, issued comments to the DOT on behalf of Enron 
ETS concerning the adverse impact the current proposed amendments to the HOS 
regulation would have on the company's ability to operate and respond to 
emergencies without an unreasonable increase in operating costs.

Petition for Extension of Time - Russell Tucker asked the NAM OSHA Steering 
Committee to consider joining Organization Resources Counselors, Inc. (ORC) 
in asking OSHA through a letter of petition for an extension of time to 
establish full compliance with the Ergonomics Program Grandfather clause . 
The request is under NAM legal review to ensure standing suits against OSHA 
in connection with the Ergonomics Program final rule would not be adversely 
affected.

ANSI Z10 API Task Force Membership - Russell Tucker has accepted a request 
from API to be a member of the task force who will act as a committee member 
to the ANSI Z10 Full Committee starting proceedings to establish an 
Occupational Safety and Health Management Systems Standard. This standard is 
expected to be adopted as part of the international ISO certification 
standards after acceptance by ANSI and likely to affect any revival of the 
once proposed OSHA rule making on the same subject. 

COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE

Clean Air - EPA Mercury Determination:   On Thursday, 12/14, EPA issued its 
mercury determination, deciding there is a need to regulate mercury emissions 
from power plants and laying out a timetable for developing the necessary 
regulations.  EPA indicated that it would consider "flexible" measures for 
complying with regulations, including trading, but no further details were 
included in the determination.  Jeff Keeler provided information on this 
regulation to Enron Americas power trading and origination, EGM 
coal/emissions traders, EES and other corporate groups.

Clean Air - Section 126 Rule Litigation:   Federal District court in D.C. 
will hear oral arguments on Friday, 12/15 on the EPA's section 126 rule, 
which grants relief to northeast states who petitioned for greater control of 
NOx at sources in "upwind" states.   The federal Section 126 rule is 
scheduled to go into effect for sources in May 2003 -- 1 year sooner than 
similar state-developed regulations will go into effect for the same sources 
under the NOx SIP Call.  The outcome of the litigation is important because a 
ruling for industry could give sources another year to plan for emissions 
controls.  Jeff Keeler will issue a report on the litigation to Enron 
Americas, EGM, EIM, EES, and other impacted corporate groups.

Power Quality/Distributed Generation:  Stacey Bolton and Mary Schoen 
continued to provide assistance to EES' Premium Power group as they look at 
environmental drivers for their business model.  Stacey delivered detailed 
information on federal incentive programs for distributed generation and Mary 
provided assistance and analysis of environmental regulations in EES' target 
states.

EPA Green Power RFI:   Stacey Bolton provided information to EES (Richard 
Ring) in response to an RFI for the supply of green power to EPA in Ohio.  
(Part of the information that will be included in the RFI response will be 
the Enron EHS annual report).   Stacey also talked with APX about their 
exchange in Ohio and the potential for EES to price out a deal for green 
credits to use in the potential deal w/ EPA.  APX is very interested in doing 
a deal w/ EES, and has landfill credits for EES to bid on.  Stacey provided 
this information to EES.

Renewable Energy Credits:  Stacey organized a conference call w/EGM and EES 
supply desk to discuss potential partnerships with Clean Power Markets (Green 
Credit Exchange and Verification company).  EES will likely become an anchor 
customer of the exchange.  Followed up with Richard Shapiro, Jim Steffes and 
Lisa Yoho regarding the potential partnership (Clean Power Markets had 
originally approached Rick about a partnership & he passed it along to 
Stacey.)

ADVOCACY/COMMERCIAL SUPPORT

Clean Air - NOx SIP Call:  Mary Schoen continued work on development of State 
Implementation Plans (SIPs) in several key Enron States, including Illinois, 
Tennessee, and Indiana.   States had until October 31, 2000 to submit SIPs to 
EPA for approval or face preemption by federal NOx rules, but EPA informally 
extended that deadline until the end of the year.  Mary is submitting 
comments to these states as they prepare their final SIPs.
Tennessee:  will be less of a priority with the sale of the Brownsville 
peaker to Cinergy, but the work done by Mary in the SIP development process 
which gained allocation of allowances to Enron assets proved to be valuable 
in the sale.
Indiana:  Mary is working with EES to ensure allocation of allowances to 
"energy efficiency" projects, which could prove to have value for EES and 
customers.

Environmental Disclosure/Labeling:   as EES will be entering Ohio on 1/1/01 
in First Energy's territory, Stacey Bolton met with the EES reporting team 
concerned about the label.   Stacey suggested that since First Energy is 
doing the billing function for EES' customers, EES lay off the disclosure 
requirement on First Energy (First Energy will also be purchasing and 
delivering the power).  EES is attempting to implement this suggestion.   EES 
is also actively looking at CG&E territory and needs to prepare a disclosure 
label.  As Ohio's disclosure rule is ambiguous, Stacey has been coordinating 
questions w/ Ohio PUCO staff regarding disclosure requirements. 

Renewable Energy/Wind:  Stacey is working with Enron Americas West Desk on 
trading opportunities for wind energy in the west.  DOE is organizing a 
trading platform for the Western States, and Stacey provided information to 
EA and is helping develop a strategy to optimize their value for wind energy.

Pipeline Safety Legislation:    In Congress' last minute efforts to pass 
appropriations bills, rumors have circulated that there may be an attempt to 
attach pipeline safety legislation.   Jeff Keeler worked to gather more 
information on these efforts, and found that support of many key 
congressional leaders for such an effort is missing.  Jeff forwarded to ETS 
and others a letter sent by Senator John McCain (a key pipeline safety 
proponent) to congressional leaders) urging that pipeline legislation not be 
included in any appropriations bills.

GREENFIELD CAPITAL PROJECTS

Cuiaba Pipeline (Bolivia/Brazil)- Joe Kolb will be participating with 
Catherine McKalip-Thompson (Enron Corp) in conducting a "lessons learned" 
analysis for the Cuiaba Project  and Transredes oil spill.

Lagos EPP (Nigeria) - Joe Kolb reports that the refurbishing and conversion 
of the power barges is behind schedule.  The first one is expected to go 
online in March of 2001 and the last in November 2001.

RioGen/Eletrobolt PPs (Brazil)- Joe Kolb has discussed with Lauren Goldblatt 
(Enron Corp) the perspective he gleaned from his inspection of the proposed 
CEG pipeline that will provide natural gas to the RioGen/Eletrobolt 
projects.  Lauren is working with Enron SA to arrange a community meeting.

ACQUISITIONS

Project Crane (Quebec, Canada and Port Angeles, Washington Pulp and Paper 
Acquisition) -  Susan Worthen was notified by Gustavo Junqueira (Industrial 
Markets Finance Manager) that this transaction has been approved by the Board 
and Enron is in the final stages of negotiating the Share Purchase Agreement 
with the Seller.  The Port Angeles, Washington mill will be excluded due to 
environmental liability issues.  Additional environmental due diligence is 
currently being conducted on timber properties located near Quebec that are 
harvested for construction lumber.  Mark Greenberg (Industrial Markets 
Attorney) is the interface on the due diligence.  Gustavo, Susan, and Bob 
Anderson (Pulp and Paper Technical) met to discuss the transition process and 
on-going EHS support.  Susan also took the opportunity to raise questions 
regarding budgets and acquisition strategy for 2001. She agreed to provide 
transition plans for previous EI projects to use as ticklers of items that 
need to be addressed, such as payroll, conversion of accounting systems, HR, 
etc. and will meet with Henry Van and his group to discuss transition and 
operating support plans.

Project INGA (California and Pennsylvania Power Plant Acquisition) - Don 
Stevens provided an interpretation of the impact of EPA's announcement 
regarding the control (regulation) of mercury emissions.  

Massey (JV Coal Mine) - The scheduled site visit by Don Stevens was cancelled 
by Massey due to disclosure concerns regarding current civil suits.  Massey's 
executive management apparently questioned Enron's interest in the spill 
since it is not directly associated with the property transaction currently 
being pursued.  Susan Worthen notified the project team and RAC 
representative of the current status and learned that this transaction will 
not be concluded by the end of the year and additional time would be 
available in January to visit these issues.  

North Carolina CF Power Plants - Don Stevens reviewed the ENSR draft Phase I 
Environmental Site Assessment, dated December 2000, and provided additional 
questions.  ENSR is currently conducting a limit Phase II and the report 
should be available by December 22, 2000. 

ISAGEN - Don Stevens reviewed Harza's "Technical Review of ISAGEN Generating 
Plants" and reported to  Mario Brunasso.  It has been reported that the 
Finance Minister of Columbia said that legal loopholes, possible changes in 
the price-tag for ISAGEN, and the need to update paperwork related to its 
privatization would now postpone the deal until June 30, 2001.

Project Canary - Don Stevens reviewed Pilko & Associates Environmental Risk 
Identification for the Celgar Pulp Company.  Susan Worthen provided an 
Environmental Risk summary for the project team to use in the DASH.

DEPARTMENT PROJECTS

EHS Web Site - The website is currently on-line. On Friday, December15th, we 
will begin to promote the website on E-TV and also place a link to the site 
on home.enron.com in the New and Notable section and in the Intranet Site 
section.  Phase II planning is beginning. Phase II will contain streaming 
video, an International Legislative and Regulatory Database, access to a 
compliance management calendar and the remaining information from the 
Environmental Strategies Group. Phase II role out still needs to be 
determined and will be dependent on the availability of Enron Networks staff.

Telework/NEPI Program - Gavin Dillingham represented Enron at a meeting in 
County Judge Eckels, office to discuss the National Telecommuting and Air 
Quality Act with NEPI and the Philadelphia Steering Committee. Gavin is also 
meeting with Elham Shirazi of NEPI and a representative from Enron,s 
transportation group to discuss the possibility and feasibility of Enron 
providing a Vanpool for its employees.   

Lifecycle Process - Gavin Dillingham is continuing to work with Susan Worthen 
and AD Little on determining Enron,s products and services for the lifecycle 
study.  Financial market trading activities will be segregated from physical 
market activities (those requiring a physical position in the market) and a 
glossary of trading terms will be provided to make the document easier to 
understand.  Additional refinements of the services will also be conducted to 
streamline the inventory.  

Asset Tracking Database - The database is currently being populated with 
data. Susan Worthen will be following up on the revision of the asset list.

Annual EHS Report - Susan Worthen, Lauren Goldblatt, and Catherine 
McKalip-Thompson discussed data needs for the 2000 annual report.  Lauren and 
Susan met with Keith Micelli to gain insight on potential reporting issues 
and contacts for Transredes and Cuiaba.  Lou Soldano and Susan Worthen agreed 
to set up a meeting in early January to discuss EHS reporting of EOTT assets 
with Frank Smith, Dave Nutt, and Bill Kendrick.