Subject: Pipeline Safety bill NOT included in final legislation
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:38:00 -0800 (PST)

While there were some attempts late last week to attach the Senate pipeline 
safety bill to final appropriations package before Congress adjourned, the 
legislation was not included.   

While Senator John McCain (R-AZ) requested that the measure not be included 
in any spending bills, House and Senate Republicans at the negotiating table 
over the Labor-HHS bill did propose inclusion of the pipeline safety bill.   
However, House Democrats -- in particular, Rep. David Obey (D-WI) and Jim 
Oberstar (D-MN) -- voiced strong objections, so the bill was not included.

Jeffrey Keeler
Director, Environmental Strategies
Enron
1775 Eye Street, N.W.  Suite 800
Washington, D.C.  20006
(202) 466-9157 - phone
(202) 331-4717 - fax
(888) 502-6856 or [email-masked] - pager