Subject: Proposed Dabhol Power Company Press Release - Government of India Guarantee
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:53:00 -0800 (PST)

As previously reviewed with Mark, Karen and Scott, it is very likely that DPC 
will invoke the Government of India Guarantee tomorrow (late night tonight 
our time).  Ken Lay was on the India call today and confirmed support for 
this approach, absent new developments.  The India team feels strongly, and 
we agree, that we should clearly set the explanation of this action by 
issuing a press release.  The press release would be issued by DPC for 
distribution in India only.  However, the story and the release are almost 
certain to be picked up by the international wires.

Attached for your approval is the proposed DPC release.  It is deliberately 
not worded in Enron fashion.  We believe there is a strong possibility that 
many Indian publications will take this release almost verbatim.  Since it is 
lengthy and explains the issue, we also believe many publications will 
necessarily reduce the amount of space normally dedicated to opposing 
commentary.   Of course, we will be armed with appropriate Q&As for use with 
international media.  Please let me know whether or not you have any concerns 
with this approach (713-646-6423 or cellular 281-948-7273).

John