Subject: Memo to Ken Lay from Linda Robertson (This memo will be hand delivered to Ken's driver in DC @ 11:45 AM.)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:40:00 -0800 (PST)

MEMORANDUM

TO:  Ken Lay
cc:  Steve Kean
  Rick Shapiro
FROM: Linda Robertson
DATE:  February 7, 2001
RE:  Your Meeting with Clay Johnson

Per our conference call last evening, we put together additional information 
on Administration appointments in preparation for your meeting with Clay 
Johnson.  The post of Ambassador to India has garnered the interest of 
several candidates.  Former Senator Larry Pressler has asked for support.  
Appended is an Email from Joe Hillings regarding the state of play on this 
nomination.  I also checked with Wade Cline in India about his reaction to 
Senator Pressler.  Wade indicated that he does not know the Senator 
personally, but that "he is well thought of in India and would be a good 
choice."  Please note from Joe's Email that Joe is concerned about a possible 
Pressler nomination.  

With respect to the SEC, you were asked to speak on behalf of James Doty from 
the law firm of Baker Botts.  Appended is his bio.  I checked with Ed 
Gillespie this morning about his latest information on SEC.  Ed believes that 
Joe Grundfest of Stanford University is the leading candidate.  No one has 
contacted us on behalf of Mr. Grundfest.  In a recent Washington Post 
article, in addition to Doty, Rep. Chris Cox was mentioned as a possible 
candidate.  Ed did not turn up Cox's name in his conversation with 
Administration officials today.  

I understand FERC candidates will also be discussed in the meeting.  Ed 
Gillespie indicated this morning that "Pat Wood is still the pick."   Ed also 
reported that Rep. Joe Barton is pushing Joe Kelliher for a potential slot.  
We have worked closely with Joe over the past several weeks on California 
issues.  He was on the transition team and is currently housed at the 
Department of Energy as an Advisor to the Secretary.  I also understand that 
McLane Layton of Senator Nickles' office has been told by the White House she 
is on the list for consideration.  Rick Shapiro and I met with her last 
week.   Both Kelliher and Layton were among the candidates listed on an early 
Enron document given to the transition team.  I believe everyone in Enron 
Government Affairs believes  Pat Wood is the superior pick.