Subject: sen wyden
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:22:00 -0800 (PST)

Sen Wyden called Jeff Skilling and I subsequently spoke to his staffer, 
Joshua Sheinkman.

As you know, Wyden wants to introduce legislation to facilitate disclosure of 
operating information about the electric grid and is now looking for more 
details.  Wyden is not interested in pressing for additional disclosure of 
financial information.
The additional details they are looking for include: what information should 
be made available; when should it be made available, how should it be made 
available and who should make it available.  On this last point, I suggested 
that the legislation should apply to the transmission system operator, 
whoever that is (i.e. it could be an investor owned utility, a publicly-owned 
utility, an ISO or an RTO).  I also pointed out that FERC could make this 
happen by itself, except in the case of public utilities like BPA.  Extending 
FERC jurisdiction to these entities could be among the main benefits of the 
legislation.
Alan, please pull together the recommendations on each of these issues and 
forward to Linda. Linda, after we have the information (and perhaps some 
legislative language to go with it) please forward to Joshua at 
[email-masked].
Wyden would like our help in getting Sen Nickles to cosponsor the 
legislation.  (Linda)
It may also be useful to suggest a letter from wyden to FERC asking them to 
use their existing authority to start these disclosures as soon as possible 
for those entities wver which they have jurisdiction. (Linda and Joe)