Subject: DOE Meetings
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:09:00 -0800 (PST)

Shelley and Jim, who should follow up?
----- Forwarded by Steven J Kean/NA/Enron on 02/20/2001 01:07 PM -----

	Michael L Miller
	02/20/2001 11:41 AM
		 
		 To: Steven J Kean/NA/Enron@Enron
		 cc: 
		 Subject: DOE Meetings

Steve,

This meeting was initiated by one of our contacts at the DOE (with whom we 
have a dialogue relating to energy technology).  Some of Dr. Boyce's (do you 
know this guy) topics we can clearly cover, others are a little bit outside 
what Principal Investments does on a day to day basis.  

Could you give me some guidance about who should attend this meeting?  Should 
you be there?  Where I really  need help is on the topic of Natural Gas 
Infrastructure Reliability.

Please call if you have any questions.

Michael Miller
---------------------- Forwarded by Michael L Miller/NA/Enron on 02/20/2001 
11:19 AM ---------------------------

Boyce Consultancy <[email-masked]> on 02/20/2001 12:55:12 PM
To: Michael L Miller <[email-masked]>
cc:  

Subject: DOE Meetings

Dear Mr. Miller:

It was a pleasure speaking to you and discussing the upcoming meetings with
DOE.

The US Department of Energy, want to meet with ENRON Executives  to discuss
some of the potential of various Energy Programs that are being considered
by  the Office of Strategic Center for Natural Gas, and with Abbie Layne
Product Manager-Advanced Heat Engines.

Mr. Anderson
Product Manager
Natural Gas Infrastructure Reliability
Would like to discus some of the following topics:

 Expected increases in the use of natural gas and projected availability of
this fuel.

? Any special issues associated with distributed generation that could be
addressed with new technologies;

? Concerns about the current price and availability of natural gas causing
on new gas-fired power initiatives;

? Interdependence issues between gas and electric power;

? Any specific natural gas infrastructure issues facing these companies;

? The most important issue concerning natural gas reliability;

? Leadership in R&D;

? Future technology needs; and

? The NETL role in technology development to meet future industry needs.

Mark Williams
Product Manager
Fuel Cells
Would like to discus some of the following topics:

  Fuel Cell Distributed Generation (DG) benefits.

? DG deployment allows critical industry to stay at current location even if
local grid is unstable and unreliable;

? DG deployment obviates need for R&D investment;

? Fuel cell DG deployment means being able to site power with no air
permitting required;

? High fuel cell efficiency reduces operating costs for fuel, which is
important where gas is expensive.  Additionally,  high efficiency
utilization frees up natural gas for use at other critical locations;

? Use of zero or low emission fuel cell technology in environmentally
constrained areas permits continued use of other  high emitting generating
plants, thus increasing the overall power available;
?
 Fuel cell DG deployment puts the highest quality power in the system
increasing grid reliability and stability; and

? Fuel cell attributes also enhance grid reliability through lower
harmonics, variability control, and voltage control.

Abbie Layne Product Manager-
Advanced Heat Engines.
Would like to discus some of the following topics:

 New developments in Gas Turbines

 Increasing Reliability and Maintainability of Gas Turbines

 Combined Cycle Power Plants Increasing Efficiency

 Hybrid Power Systems

 Condition Monitoring Systems.

This meeting would be for about 3-4 hours at ENRON's  facilities. The
meetings  arranged for March 6 morning..

A dinner for the DOE is planned at our home at the Huntingdon 2121 Kirby
Drive, for March 7, 2001 at 7:00 pm, and you and your spouse, and other
executives from ENRON are invited.

I am looking forward to meeting with you.

With best regards,

Dr. Meherwan P. Boyce, P.E.
THE BOYCE CONSULTANCY
2121 KIRBY DRIVE, 28N
HOUSTON, TX. 77019
USA
PHONE: 713-807-0888
FAX: 713-807-0088
MOBILE-USA: 713-306-9776
MOBILE-EUROPE & ASIA: 44-467-207-600
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web Site: www.boyceconsultancy.com