Subject: EHS Weekly Report - Week ending 3/31/01
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:17:00 -0800 (PST)

ADMINISTRATIVE

Enron Conservation Committee - The committee met with Corporate Express to 
discuss the use of recycled office materials.  Significant cost savings are 
expected from the use of these materials, especially the laser jet ink 
cartridges.  EHS Corp. volunteered to conduct a pilot study using free laser 
jet ink cartridges for the next few weeks.  Results will be documented and 
discussed with committee members.  If pilot study is successful , results 
will be shared with Global Sourcing and other departments in Enron.   Other 
major corporations in Houston have successfully used these cartridges.

2001 EHS Corp. Conference - EHS is preparing the list of conference attendees 
and developing regional conference needs.  The list of attendees will be 
completed March 29 and the list of needs on April 4. 

ADVOCACY COORDINATION & COMMERCIAL SUPPORT

Air Quality/Multipollutant Strategy - Jeff Keeler coordinated Enron's 
involvement in air quality and "multipollutant" initiatives: 
Made a presentation to the U.S. EPA Clean Air Act Advisory Committee on the 
drivers behind the current debate over multipollutant approaches for the 
power sector and the characteristics of innovative and (hopefully) effective 
approaches being explored by Enron and other companies.
Continued to meet with White House, EPA, DOE and congressional contacts on 
the subject, and led strategy development efforts with in the "Clean Power 
Group" coalition.   Presented a strategy for reaching out to coal interests 
(beyond large coal users - i.e., producers, unions) to gain support for our 
proposal as one that is "good for the future of coal generation."
Worked to provide business units with information concerning the Bush 
administration's actions on carbon dioxide and global climate change issues, 
congressional, industry and environmental group responses.
staff on possible responses and future strategies.  Jeff is working closely 
with Senate Environment Committee staff to craft legislation that will still 
move forward on NOx, SO2 and mercury while continuing to look at meaningful 
approaches to carbon reduction.

California Energy Crisis & Environmental Regulation - Mary Schoen her 
leadership in providing intelligence and analysis to commercial and 
government affairs groups on environmental policy activities affecting the 
California crisis.  Mary produced analysis of new California bills and 
executive actions affecting permitting and environmental regulation of power 
generation sources, and provided feedback to Enron commercial groups, 
government affairs and regulators.  Mary also worked on further analysis of 
actions being taken by state CARB officials and local authorities in the 
SCAQMD to potentially revise air quality programs.

Trading Market Development - Stacey Bolton continued to provide leadership on 
developing Renewable Energy Credit trading markets and providing related 
opportunities to Enron businesses.
PJM: Contacted Rich Sedano (Former VT Commissioner, now w/RAP) re: our 
efforts in PJM -- he is joining our efforts which will add credibility with 
regulators.  Contacted Natsource and Evolution Markets, both of whom are 
joining our coalition.  Working on draft strawman and policy paper with 
coalition.
NePool: RFP for system administrator was submitted to interested parties.
Texas REC program:  Attended workshop on implementation of REC program and 
Voluntary Certificate Program.  Submitted oral comments and questions on 
streamlining voluntary certificate program w/ REC program and ensuring there 
is adequate verification.
Texas - Energy Efficiency Allowances:  Organizing a group of stakeholders to 
push forward a proposal for  RECs and  energy efficiency savings to be 
eligible as NOx allowances under the Houston/Dallas SIP, including: 
Natsource, TX Renewable Coalition; O2; Evolution Markets.  Setting meetings 
at TNRCC in mid-April to present proposal.

Enron Renewable Energy Desk - Stacey Bolton continues coordination with 
Elliot Mainzer on forming a team to respond "holistically" to his regulatory 
needs.  Working w/him on messaging of his efforts.

Texas Environmental issues/opportunities - Stacey Bolton met w/Jean Ryall to 
get a system in place for analyzing Texas environmental legislation and 
regulations and providing feedback to government affairs on pending 
legislation.

COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE & BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES

Greening the Enron Building - Stacey Bolton held a "kick off" meeting and 
organized team toward structuring deals that would allow Enron to announce it 
is the first Fortune 500 company to go 100% "green".  EES is pricing the 
commodity end for facilities and getting back w/them today.  Michael Payne 
and Mike Curry are pricing out the Renewable Energy Credits.  Catherine 
McKalip-Thompson is working on draft press release (Peggy Mahoney/EES and 
Stacey I to review comment on.  Next steps: figure out exact cost; present to 
business units and/or Jeff Skilling for approval.  Plans to announce if deal 
goes through on Earth Day.  

CO2 and Mercury Regulation -  Jeff Keeler provided ENA developers with 
information on the long term regulatory picture for control of emissions from 
CO2 and mercury, which could affect our interests in developing/purchasing 
coal generation assets.

Power Technologies - Equity Investments -  Jeff Keeler provided analysis to 
Enron Principal Investments group on several potential technologies:
Provided analysis on a "dual-fuel" diesel technology that would allow 
emergency diesel generators to switch to 80% natural gas, lowering emissions 
profiles and allowing them to sell electricity to the grid.  There is a 
potential for success in distributed generation markets, as well as other 
applications.
Provided potential leads for investment opportunities in coal gasification 
and carbon sequestration technologies.

EES - business lead with Landauer -  Stacey Bolton had a conference call 
w/Landauer (a Grubb & Ellis Co) re: installation of solar panels and 
distributed generation on large strip malls, starting in NY.   Their proposal 
won't work at the present time, but passed along a contact name to EES 
commodity sales re: signing on Grubb & Ellis as a customer.

Energy Efficiency:  Pennsylvania C&I Negawatts Program - Continuing work with 
subcommittee to refine minor points for submission to the Green Power Board.  
Program launch target is still June.

Environmental Labeling - Ohio - Stacey Bolton continues to assist EES with 
their initial label in Ohio.

REGULATORY TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

TXOGA Pipeline Committee - Marc Phillips attended a TXOGA Pipeline Committee 
meeting to discuss the latest information regarding the Texas legislative 
session.

ETS Environmental Conference - Marc Phillips presented information at the ETS 
Environmental Conference regarding five air regulatory issues with 
significant cost to ETS.

EES Tax Credits - Marc Phillips provided information to EES personnel about 
the tax credits that are available for pollution control equipment. The 
information is located on the EH&S web page.

ETS Iowa Title V Fees - Marc Philips provided comments to Iowa ETS personnel 
regarding a draft regulation to raise the minimum Title V permit fee to 
$1,000 in Iowa.

Environmental and Safety Report - The RTA Group is in the process of placing 
the Environmental and Safety Report on EH&S's intranet web page.

API Safety and Fire Protection Committee - Russell Tucker took part in the 
API Safety Engineering & Regulatory Task Force meeting followed by the 
attendance at the full Safety & Fire Protection Subcommittee meeting during 
which each project underway was evaluated and course corrections made where 
necessary. Main topics centered on the changes under consideration by NFPA 
for the fire and building codes, the proposed ANSI standards for Safety & 
Health and Ergonomics, 2001 Safety Conference agenda, legislative and 
regulatory advocacy issues, budget realignments, and decisions on expiring 
Recommended Practices as to revision or deleting.

NAM OSHA Steering Committee - Russell Tucker assisted during a NAM OSHA 
Steering Committee conference call with the determination of those parts of 
the recent OSHA final rule amendments for the Recordkeeping regulations that 
should be kept during forth coming negations with OSHA pertaining to the 
Complaint filed by NAM in the D.C. District court. Also those parts addressed 
in the Complaint as concerns were prioritized. 

Enron Ergonomics Program Workstation Solutions - Russell Tucker completed the 
HTML browser based Internet workstation Solutions program for displaying 
unique problem solving ideas for resolving most difficult workstation 
ergonomics problems.  Vendors were arranged for U.S. wide ordering and demos 
of most products included in the program were donated for use in the Houston 
campus.  This program will be available to the Facilitators of the Enron 
Ergonomics Program as a resource to reduce their time in finding solutions to 
the most difficult situations expected to be encountered.

Stormwater Regulations -- Jim Peterson is preparing an updated Storm Water 
Notice incorporating regulatory changes.

GREENFIELD CAPITAL PROJECTS

Cuiaba Lessons Learned Project - Joe Kolb and Catherine McKalip-Thompson have 
made considerable progress in writing the first draft of the report.   The 
internal Lessons Learned meeting is still scheduled for the end of April.
EUROPE

UK, Enron Metals ) Henry Bath  -  Alan Stringer coordinated a meeting with 
regulators to discuss issues raised in environmental report.  The meeting was 
scheduled for April 2nd to determine additional work required to procure 
planning permission for new warehouse.

ENRON GLOBAL ASSETS
(Central America, South America, India and Asia)

Philippines, Batangas & Subic Power Plants - Bal Wong conducted an EHS 
inspection of Batangas and Subic Plants.  The inspection report will be 
prepared next week.   However, initial observations indicate that the plants 
do not have major EHS issues. 

India, Dabhol Power Plant ) Alan Stringer  will extend his on-sight support 
until April 14, 2001. 

Panama, Bahia Las Minas (BLM) Ambient Air Monitoring Stations - Donnie 
Willmann is assisting BLM and ThermoRetec in preparing a specification list 
for the two  ambient air monitoring stations at BLM which are for sale.  Greg 
Whelan at the Cuiaba  plant read the information in the weekly report and has 
indicated that he knows a company that would be interested in this 
equipment.  He will follow up on this lead. 

Puerto Rico, San Juan Gas Remediation Project - Puerto Rico Environmental 
Quality Board (EQB) indicated verbally that the Feasibility Study was tacitly 
approved by their approval of the Quality Assurance Plan.  San Juan Gas sent 
a clarification  letter to the EPA expanding on the details of the disposal 
of the water from the fire water tank.

Puerto Rico, EcoElectrica:  Donnie Willmann met with Victor Vega in Houston 
to discuss EHS issues such as  safety awareness program, Process Hazard 
Analysis, implementation of the Dupont STOP program, and Process Safety 
Management implementation.  Both met with Don Hawkins to discuss combining of 
operational audits from Enron and Edison Mission  currently scheduled in 
October and November of this year, respectively.  Combining both audits will 
reduce costs. 

Caribbean/Latin America Operational Audits - Donnie Willmann, Bill Curra and 
Edgar Zuleta continue to review the Audit Action Item Lists and are working 
with the facilities to resolve outstanding action items.

Bolivia, Transredes "Crisis Plan Implementation" and New Headquarters Bldg. - 
Edgar Zuleta incorporated  corrections to the draft new Transredes Crisis 
Plan.   He presented to Transredes the new Audit Management System (AMS) 
program and represented Enron EHS Corp. in the opening ceremony of Transredes 
new corporate headquarters.

Brazil, SCGas - Edgar Zuleta completed field visits, prepared a draft report 
using the new AMS and conducted an exit debriefing  to SCGas management. An 
separate report was prepared addressing contractor EHS findings. The draft 
reports are being reviewed by SCGas.  SCGas is doing an excellent job at 
controlling EHS risks and managing EHS issues.   SCGas was very pleased on 
the use of the AMS and Edgar's performance in this audit.   

Brazil, Elektro - Edgar Zuleta traveled to Campinas, new headquarters for 
Elektro in Brazil.   He discussed  EHS objectives and targets, monthly 
reports, audit tracking reports.   Reporting deadlines were discussed and 
agreed to improve communications between Enron SA and Elektro.  The new EHS 
AMS program was introduced.  The director responsible for EHS will discuss 
with operations management the possibility of using the new AMS.

Brazil, Cuiba Power Plant - Edgar Zuleta and Sandra Maldonado arranged the 
preparation of the safety award plaque to be presented to Cuiaba Power Plant  
for 2 years without a loss time accident. 

ENRON ENERGY SERVICES

EES - Distributed Power Generation ) Gus Eghneim continues to provide 
permitting support to the distributed power generation team.  At least 10 
facilities are planned in Arizona and New Mexico for year 2001.

EES - New Business Venture - Gus Eghneim is coordinating a stack test for a 
diesel engine in Chicago. The test will be conducted by Clean Air Engineering 
the week of April 2, 2001.

Eli Lilly Project )  Bill Curra is visiting the Eli Lilly facilities to 
gather site specific information for the development of the EHS manuals.  The 
Eli Lilly account includes utility delivery service for 5 facilities.  

ENRON ENGINEERING AND OPERATION SERVICES

Alabama, Mobile Energy Services Company (MESC) ) Gus Eghneim is working with 
MESC to resolve the environmental issues associated with a malfunctioned 
opacity monitor. 
 
U.S, 2000 Peaker Plants - Gus Eghneim is coordinating the development of 
Title V operating permit applications for Doyle, Gleason, Wheatland, and 
Lincoln power plants.

Georgia, Doyle Power - Gus Eghneim submitted a revised emissions data report 
to the U.S. EPA.

Illinois, Lincoln Energy Center (LEC) - Gus Eghneim is providing support to 
LEC on CEMS maintenance activities. 

GLOBAL INDUSTRIAL MARKETS

Quebec, Canada, Daishowa Pulp & Paper Co. ) Gus Eghneim is working with the 
mill's environmental director on the implementation of Enron's environmental 
policies and guidelines.  The mill is expected to have the integration of 
these policies and guidelines completed by the week of April 2, 2001.   

ENRON AMERICAS

Michigan, White Pine Energy, Ada Cogeneration Plant ) Gus Eghneim scheduling 
a meeting with the EPA and the state's regulatory agency to discuss a 
petition previously submitted to exclude the plant from the EPA SIP call and 
Section 126 rulemaking. 

DEPARTMENT PROJECTS

Telework/NEPI Program ) Gavin Dillingham and Sally Alvarez have set up a 
committee to look further into the telework program. The committee was formed 
to help in the determination of the policy, procedures and criteria that will 
be used in Enron,s program. The committee consists of representatives from 
HR, legal, IT, Work Perks, Facilities, EOC and EH&S. The first committee 
meeting will be next week. 

EHS Significant Issues Monthly Report - The database (with instructions) was 
rolled out to members of Henry Van,s group. The next report will be due in 
May.  It was agreed that the frequency of the reporting will change from 
monthly to bimonthly.

EHS Performance Measures Database ) Gavin Dillingham is currently working 
with Enron Networks and James Buzek to fix the current database. James 
believes that a new version of the database will be functional by the end of 
March, and the 1st quarter reports will be complete by April 15th. Gavin is 
also working with Gary Allen to help in the determination of what types of 
reports may be suitable for this database. The current main focus on this 
project is to develop a database that has enhanced reporting flexibility. The 
database will be placed on an extranet server that will allow all of Enron,s 
assets who have internet access to update their own data. This is a secure 
system that will only allow each asset to view their data. The user-interface 
of the database has been designed and they are now waiting on the development 
of the reporting mechanism and the population of data.  The cost for the 
re-design is (including the extranet server) is approximately $20,000.

Phase II EHS Website- Gavin Dillingham is currently working on determining 
the new look for the EHS website. He is currently taking suggestion from 
users and content providers for the site. The site will be more dynamic and 
provide real-time information concerning what is happening within the EHS and 
Corporate Responsibility group on the home page. He had a meeting with Mark 
Martin, Jeff Pena and Vern Vallejo of Enron Networks this week and it was 
determined that Phase II could be ready in about two months. Susan Worthen 
will thoroughly review the current site contents and arrangement next week 
and make appropriate recommendations for improvement.

Sustainability Indicators and Benchmarking- Gavin Dillingham is currently 
working with Lauren Iannarone in determining what 
Sustainable/Environmental/Social indices Enron should work to be listed on. 
They have just completed the initial stage of the project by determining the 
benchmarks and indicators that Enron should follow to be considered a 
responsible corporate citizen. 

VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES/COMMUNITY RELATIONS
 
Enron Earth Day Festival ) Gavin Dillingham and Joe Kolb had a meeting 
concerning Enron Trash Bash yesterday to discuss the trash challenge coming 
up on March 31st. Currently, there is a committee that is looking for 
volunteers and is coordinating the logistics of the clean-up. An E-TV ad 
campaign for Trash Bash has been running for the last week, and there will be 
pre-registration for Trash Bash on March 29 and 30th. Also, Enron has 
challenged several companies downtown and American General and 
PriceWaterhouseCoopers have accepted the challenge. 

MOPS 686 Offshore Platform Donation - Joe Kolb is trying to schedule a 
conference call between A&M at Corpus Christi, Bob Burleson (ETS) and himself 
so that Enron can ascertain whether it is looking like the University will be 
able to bring adequate resources to the table to make the project viable.  
Hopefully, the call will be next week.