Subject: Re: Article: Enron calls on Ontario to open power market quickly
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 05:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

Steve:

I'll toot my horn on this one.  The speeches we have been doing for Ken 
ranging from corporate culture to getting markets open are doing what they 
are supposed to do.

On another matter, I cast my vote for a "knowledge manager" to replace 
Margaret.  If I had a full time position instead of a rotating analyst, this 
person could maybe double up and gain the institutional knowledge that 
Margaret accumulated.  I think Rita Hartfield would be good in this position 
and would work well with Joan and me.  I would also expect Rita to work 
efficiently on a variety of hot issues--including writing which she is 
proficient at.

- Rob

----- Forwarded by Rob Bradley/Corp/Enron on 04/05/2001 12:22 PM -----

	Aleck Dadson@ECT
	04/05/2001 10:13 AM
		
		 To: Rob Bradley/Corp/Enron@ENRON
		 cc: 
		 Subject: Re: Article: Enron calls on Ontario to open power market quickly

Rob, the speech could not have gone better.  It was published as an op-ed 
this morning by one of the two majors.  Thanks for all your help and your 
very very useful advice re the structure and content of  Ken Lay's remarks. 

	Ursula Brenner@ENRON
	04/04/2001 05:43 PM
		 
		 To: Aleck Dadson/TOR/ECT@ECT
		 cc: Richard Shapiro/NA/Enron@Enron, Rob Bradley/Corp/Enron@ENRON
		 Subject: Article: Enron calls on Ontario to open power market quickly

Rob Bradley asked me to forward this article to you.

Ursula Brenner

Enron calls on Ontario to open power market quickly
April 04, 2001 12:36:00 PM ET
By Scott Anderson 
TORONTO, April 4 (Reuters) - Enron Corp. (ENE), North America's biggest buyer 
and seller of natural gas and electricity, put pressure on the Ontario 
government on Wednesday to deregulate the provincial energy market, Canada's 
biggest, as quickly as possible. 
Ontario has already pushed back its previous deadline of November 2000 by one 
year to sort out its deregulation problems and avoid the problems encountered 
by California in energy deregulation. 
The delays have frustrated potential corporate players. 
"We think the right thing for Ontario is to move ahead with this plan, open 
the markets and get them working," Kenneth Lay, Enron's chairman, said at a 
breakfast speech at the Toronto Board of Trade. 
"Let people start building the new power plants and, of course, providing a 
lot of the types of services we provide elsewhere." 
Lay warned that the longer the government drags its feet on the issue, the 
more it places itself at risk of scaring off potential investors. 
"The delays continue to create uncertainty and uncertainty tends to 
discourage investment," Lay told reporters. "By discouraging investment, as 
the market keeps growing, it could be that Ontario is going to have a tough 
time keeping up with the needs of the economy." 
Enron plans to build a $250-million generating plant near the southwestern 
Ontario town of Sarnia, but has delayed the project until Ontario sets a firm 
date for deregulation. 
Lay said Enron is "committed to Ontario" even though other companies have 
said they will move to other jurisdictions if the government does not open up 
the market by the fall. 
He said Ontario is far better prepared for deregulation than was California. 
"I think what California shows is that if you're going to do it, you've got 
to do it right. And California did it wrong," he told reporters. 
"Increasingly politicians are understanding that. You can't deregulate half 
the market, but not the other half. You can't set up a system that does not 
allow price signals to be sent to consumers and even after prices go up, you 
can't just keep shielding consumers from price signals and get no response." 
Power demand from California's industries and 32 million residents has 
increased dramatically, but the state has not seen any new generating 
capacity added in about 10 years. The crisis there has been blamed on 
California's own 1996 power deregulation law, which required utilities to buy 
energy on the spot market, where prices have skyrocketed, but maintained caps 
on the rates they could charge consumers. The problem was then compounded by 
California's own surging demand, resulting in the rolling blackouts and 
voluntary power cutbacks of the past months. 
, 2001 Reuters