Subject: Wall Street Journal Article on Multipollutant Issues
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:41:00 -0700 (PDT)

I wanted to give you the heads-up that Enron's name will appear in a Wall 
Street Journal article tomorrow on multipollutant.   

As I have discussed with most of you before, we have been working in a 
coalition of companies (temporarily named the "Clean Power Group") including 
El Paso, Trigen, Calpine and NiSource to develop legislative proposals on 
multipollutant emission reductions from the power generation sector.   The 
group has hired Dutko Group lobbying firm to help float some of our initial 
ideas in the Administration and on Capitol Hill.  Mark Irion of Dutko spoke 
with John Fialka at WSJ today and discussed some of our concepts.

Background -- we have developed ideas that focus on making emissions 
reductions in NOx, SO2, mercury and CO2 in exchange for regulatory reforms to 
the New Source Review program.  We have structured these proposals in a way 
that holds multiple benefits for Enron -- promoting development of new 
generation, providing incentives to use new technologies and a diverse fuel 
mix, and environmental benefits with economic protections.  This is also an 
issue of competitiveness, as the big, regulated utilities with high-emitting 
grandfathered sources are trying to mold these issues in a way that would 
disadvantage new entrants.  We have had very positive discussions with many 
in the Administration and on the Hill, and are hoping some of our ideas are 
embraced in energy task force reports, legislation, etc.   

Note on CO2 -- the multipollutant debate has changed somewhat since Bush took 
CO2 caps "off the table" for the U.S. power sector.   We are not forwarding 
ideas that say "we must include CO2 caps", rather we are saying we can do 
multipollutant effectively and economically -- if policymakers want to 
include CO2, we can show them how to do it without causing economic collapse.

We plan to discuss this issue in more detail with many Corp and commercial 
groups at our Emissions Strategy Meeting, which now looks like it will be 
held on May 18 in Houston.  Please let me know if you have questions or need 
additional information.

Please feel free to forward to anyone else you believe should see this note.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey Keeler
Director, Environmental Strategies
Enron
Washington DC office - (202) 466-9157
Cell Phone (203) 464-1541