Subject: August Phone Call from David Sokol
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

Steve:  We need to give Ken Lay a heads up and coordinate strategy for a 
phone call he will receive during the  August Congressional recess from 
MidAmerican's CEO David Sokol if the electricity restructuring bill does not 
pass this Congress (which is currently the most likely outcome.)  Mr. Sokol 
will invite Ken Lay to attend a Winter meeting in the west with a few key 
CEO's for the purposes of their coming to the table to complete the consensus 
approach we have already developed within the DOE Stakeholders and the 
MidAmercian Roundtable groups.  The proposed general format would be to have 
Ken Lay, David Sokol, John Rowe, Earl Nye, and Alliant's Davis (i.e. the EEI 
Executive Committee) meet for 1-2 days to forge the consensus framework 
principles for the general bill.  On the third day, they would invite 
Congressman Tauzin, Congressman Dingell, Congressman Barton, Senator 
Murkowski,  Senator Bingaman, etc. to deliver the deal and achieve their 
buy-in.

I  successfully requested that MidAmerican's lobbyist add high tech companies 
to the mix.  Thus, we will have to prepare Ken Lay to ask for these attendees 
and to offer to contact the correct CEO's (i.e. from APX....but if Sun, Cisco 
and other users could be made interested to participate, this would be 
politically helpful.)  Too, in addition to inviting a few essential key 
participants, we should discuss conditions Ken Lay may wish to place on his 
participation (i.e. other than transmission open access and functional 
separation, do we want to ask for something more next Congress?)  Further, we 
will need to debrief him on all the consensus developed here to date on 
interconnection, Private Use, market power, etc.

Because of the change in EEI's leadership this year, they will necessarily 
need to support bill passage next Congress in order to meet John Rowe's 
wishes.  Although we need to prepare Ken Lay, we should keep this 
confidential outside of Enron.  Further,  my notification should not be 
allowed the steal David Sokol's "thunder" when he actually places the call.

Please advise me as to what materials or further information you need from me 
on this matter.  thanks, Cynthia