Subject: weekly report EHS
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 04:36:00 -0800 (PST)

ENA/EES-OEC 

New Jersey, Garden State Paper Mill ) Scott Watson scheduled to conduct 
Safety/Health Audit of this facility the week of December 11, 2000. 
 
Quality Management Plan (QMP) for Texas Bases RFP ) Assisting OEC in 
preparing an Environmental Compliance Plan for the Military Projects. 

Florida Power Plant Project ) Scott Watson provided Steve Rose (ENA) with 
EH&S information pertaining to Process Safety Management and Risk Management 
Plan Regulations. 

SPCC Plans for the Peaker Power Plants ) Ramiro Garcia worked with OEC 
management at the Brownsville, Gleason, and Wheatland Peakers on their SPCC 
Plans.  He expects the plan for Wheatland to be completed by 11/30/00 and the 
plans for the other plants by 12/15/00. 

Due Diligence Support for the 1999 Peakers ) Gus Eghneim is supporting the 
effort to sell the 1999 Peaker plants by responding to written and verbal 
questions from potential buyers and Enron,s internal coordination team about 
environmental issues.
 
1999 Peaker Plants Refinancing ) Gus Eghneim is supporting the refinancing 
activities for the 1999 Peaker plants by responding to environmental 
questions prepared for this purpose. 

ACQUISITIONS

Privatenel (Nicaragua) Power Plant Privatization -  Don Stevens has learned 
that the advisors to the Privatization have recommended to put the calendar 
for the bid on hold until the courts in Nicaragua rule on the legality of the 
process.  

Project INGA (California and Pennsylvania Power Plant Acquisition) - Bill 
Keeney has informed that financial close is hoped to occur by the end of year 
(2000).  Susan Worthen provided the "Final Environmental Summary" to George 
Schaefer, Frank Smith, Lou Stoler, Terry Donovan, Bill Williams, and Dave 
Duran.  The summary addressed the issues of Section 114 response letters, Mt. 
Poso coal ash, impact of future regulations and ACE quarry issue.

CWT Thermo-Depolymerization (EES New Technology) - Don Stevens has been 
informed by Gene O'Gorman that Enron has put a six month hold on the 
project.  An environmental issues matrix is being prepared for the project.

Massey (JV Coal Mine) - A possible site visit to review the environmental 
impacts from the Massey issue in Kentucky is being discussed.

North Carolina CF Power Plants - Enron is attempting to acquire two coal 
fired (QF) power plants in North Carolina.  Don Stevens contacted Dwight 
Beach to discuss the proposed acquisition.  ENSR conducted the site due 
diligence, Dwight Beach will forward a copy to Don Stevens.

PROJECTS

EHS Web Site - The  web site will be launched by December 1st.  Gavin 
Dillingham and the Enron Networks Business Analyst, Tamika Hebert are 
populating the site with documents and databases. 

Telework/NEPI Program - Gavin Dillingham has been in contact with the 
National Environmental Policy Institute (NEPI) and has set up a meeting for 
December 14th  to discuss the opportunities for Enron to earn emissions and 
tax credits by participating in a nation wide teleworking program. This 
program through NEPI may also be applied to Enron,s possible development of 
vanpools and Enron providing 100% subsidies for Metro bus riders. Patti Ucci 
of Enron Building Services will attend the meeting. Gavin has also contacted 
Larry Fenstad about the meeting but has not received a response. 

Lifecycle Process - Gavin Dillingham is filling in the spreadsheet for Enron,
s lifecycle process. Much of the information for Enron Wholesale and Enron 
ETS/EOTT has been entered into the spreadsheet. Heather Mitchell from EES, 
has offered to help in providing numbers from EES. 

Greenhouse Gas Inventory - Gavin Dillingham has been working with Henry Van 
and his group to determine asset fuel types and fuel volumes for the 
Greenhouse Gas Inventory. He has received most of the data, but there has 
been some difficulty on getting the complete data from some of the assets. 

Asset Tracking Database - Gavin Dillingham has designed an asset tracking 
database for the EHS Compliance Group. The database will help in tracking the 
greenfield and brownfield projects that are currently being developed by 
Enron,s business/deal teams and the role that EHS is playing in these 
projects. 

REGULARORY -SAFETY/ ENVIRONMENTAL

Enron Ergonomics Program Action Plan - Russell Tucker developed an Enron 
Ergonomics Program implementation plan to comply with the  Grandfather 
exemption under the OSHA final rule on Ergonomics. This would avoid at some 
point having to implement the complex, prescriptive and resource intensive 
OSHA standard, reducing record keeping requirements, ability to shelter new 
facilities and acquired companies as Grandfathered and structure the Enron 
program in the most efficient manner taking advantage of existing risk 
management procedures. The plan was reviewed by the Enron Safety Subcouncil, 
the Wellness group and our contract occupational health physician.

Final Enron Ergonomic Programs Issued -  Russell Tucker issued to the members 
of the Enron EH&S Council the final drafts of the Enron Office and 
Plant/Field Ergonomic Program procedures updated to meet the requirements of 
the OSHA final rule for Grandfathering. 

Enron Ergonomics Program Legal Review - Russell Tucker and Frank Smith, Enron 
Corp Legal, selected outside legal council to review the proposed Enron 
Office and Plant/Field implementation plan and written programs against 
OSHA's final rule requirements for Grandfathering. With minor suggestions, 
the plan and written programs were found to be in keeping with the final rule 
for Grandfathering. 

Pennsylvania Coal Plants - Marc Phillips provided information about future 
regulations that could impact three coal plants in Pennsylvania. All three 
plants will be subject to the cap and trade program to reduce NOx emissions.

Houston Non-attainment Regulations - Marc Phillips provided insight on the 
Houston non-attainment regulations to interested Enron personnel. The engine 
control limit will be 0.5 grams/hp-hr and the control dates will be delayed 
for two years.

EcoElectrica Title V Air Permit -  Marc Phillips has started his review of 
EcoElectrica's Title V draft operating permit.

EUROPE, INDIA and ASIA

Europe, Enron Metals )  Alan Stringer is working on the integration of Enron 
EHS Guidelines for Enron Metals. Alan developed a risk and liability 
management plan for the German Essen site to protect the warranties and 
indemnification in the leasehold contract.    Scott Watson is scheduled to 
conduct an EH&S Audit of facility in Rancho Dominguez, CA December 4th & 5th, 
2000.  

UK ETOL- Alan Stringer conducted an EHS audit on  Nov. 28, '00.  A report 
will be prepared next week. 

Spain, Arcos Plant ) Alan Stringer submitted comments on construction EHS  
plan from the owners perspective. 

Germany, Seines ) Alan Stringer reviewed documentation for contamination 
issues for parcel of land that Enron will take an option on.

Philippines, Batangas Power Corporation and Subic Power Corporation Visit - 
Alan Stringer assisted in developing strategy on how to comply with the new 
regulations for installation of stack and ambient air continuous monitoring 
system as required by the 1999 Clean Air Act.    Gus Eghneim  is working with 
the plant managers to assess the impact of the regulations on the two sites 
and develop compliance strategies.

CALME

Panama, Bahia Las Minas and San Francisco Site  -  No additional soil removal 
is required.  Samples from remediated soils met disposal requirements for 
local landfill.  Impacted soil is being removed and new soil is being placed 
in excavated areas.  Letter to ANAM is to be delivered indicating that we 
will stop Ambient Air Monitoring Program at the end of November, 2000.  BLM 
has complied with contractual requirements of monitoring for 1 year.  BLM has 
contracted with a local engineering firm to design secondary containment 
around large fuel storage tanks.  ThermoRetec has provided a draft Remedial 
Investigation for the Colon site to Enron EHS in Houston and BLM in Panama.  
BLM has installed oil / water separators in discharge sumps of fuel storage 
tanks to eliminate discharge of bunker and diesel to storm water channel.

Puerto Rico, San Juan Gas - D. Willmann and ThermoRetec met with James 
McMillan and Bill Middleton with EECC to discuss the coordination of 
environmental remediation work at San Juan Gas with the project for 
installing an LNG tank at San Juan Gas.  There should be some significant 
cost savings by coordinating the two projects.  We are waiting on laboratory 
analysis of impacted soils before developing final remediation plan.

SOUTH AMERICA

Bolivia, Bolivia-Brazil Pipeline Projects (GOB/GOMT) - Edgar Zuleta conducted 
an EHS audit of the project this week.   Report will be prepared next week.